Author Topic: Need more ground clearance  (Read 3033 times)

Offline jdpber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Grizzly
Re: Need more ground clearance
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
he does not need a lift kit.. he can do an axel flip for free and gain height...  the leaf spring is mounted to the Bottom of the axel..

so what you do it.. jack up the entire trailer.. and remove the leaf springs.. and now you spin the axel so the flat mount is on top.. and place the leaf spiring on top of the axel.. re bolt and you got a free 2-3" if you add a 2" alum lift block from the parts store you will need longer U-bolts and will have a 4" over stock height.. and this should be plenty to get in your drive.. i would first do the flip first and see if those 2 or so inches will improve your angle at the drive way..

I think i am going to add some of the caster wheels to my rear bumper.. there are a couple camps i drag..

PM me if you need further details hope this helps
1977 Cimarron

build restoration thread..   http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=9260.0

Offline Goldminer

• Squirrel
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 05:20:11 AM »
If you have 7 inch brakes and have hydraulic brakes you won’t be able to mount the leaf springs on top of the axel (Over slung) because you will not have enough clearance between the leaf spring and the backing plate to run the hydraulic line. You could try to rig up some 90s but because they are compression fittings not pipe fittings you would have to be very lucky to get everything to line up right. If you have the stock tubular axel it should be cambered so you won’t be able to flip the axel. As lectric80 said you should be able to weld on new leaf spring perches on top of the axel. You also will need to remove the gusset and reinforce the frame. If you have the money the best way to go is with a new over slung Dexter axel assembly, so that in the future if you need parts like bearings and seal or brake parts you should have no problem getting them.   

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
Done the skid wheels for a number of years. I just replaced my solid rubber ones with cast iron casters.

So did the skid wheels not help or are they not really how you want to fix the problem. Bigger wheels or a axel flip seems like a lot of trouble just to get out of your driveway.
   I know they make bigger skid wheels too. Anyway I hope you can work this out.
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
Jdpber, thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on that some day. I own a Jeep so fully aware of the setup. If I were to get more ground clearance, I might as well go with larger trailer wheels and new axle since I'm also thinking about getting the brakes to work anyway.

Redwood, you said the magic words, skid wheels are not exactly the way I want to solve this problem. I want to increase the angle of approach and angle of departure on the trailer. Skid wheels prevent the gear boxes from being crushed, but did nothing for angle of departure at the rear end.

Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 06:33:05 AM »
Yep I understand Fu. You do have quite a slant to your driveway. I have seen your work in the past and I know when you install a new axle it will be perfect.   ;)
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal