Author Topic: 30 amp  (Read 3728 times)

97fatboy

30 amp
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
I just got a 30 amp service from a motor home with fuses and breakers to replace mine with good or bad idea or has anyone ever done this before it was a hole lot cheaper than a new one and I think it will do the same job thoughts

Offline Pony Power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ole' Elmer Like
Re: 30 amp
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
I see no reason it wouldn't work and it will give you more options with the extra breakers.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »
   Ron, That's what I installed in my Mesa.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:29:18 PM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

97fatboy

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
Mine is simalerto that but it has a row of fuses for 12 volt

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:42 PM »
Mine is simalerto that but it has a row of fuses for 12 volt
   Yes mine does too. They are on the right side of the picture inside the box. There are two halves to the box one for 30 amp system and the other half of the box is for the 12 v system including fuses. 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:40:53 PM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

97fatboy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »
o i see know i look at your pic at work to day on my phone it only showed the breakers sorry

97fatboy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

[I
MG]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt336/wfopig/30amp002.jpg[/IMG]
well it is don just have to tidy up some wires now on to counter tops and pluming

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:04:22 PM »
I apologize for the long(ish) explanation ahead of time.

In December my daughter backed into the Apache so I'm going to have to make some repairs. Unless I can find a non-repair needed bezel to fit my '77 Ramada.

In any case the front bezel is going to have to come off as soon as the weather breaks enough for me to get at it.

So what I'm thinking is to place a 30amp service in the front interior panel. This is about the only place I can think of in this Ramada. Other than the rear interior panel. I am certainly open to suggestions of where else with consideration of this model as it will make it a bit less convenient for the shore cable. I'll lose some footage, which shouldn't be that big a deal, unless I add a new cable.

I'm not unfamiliar with electrical so any suggestions don't have to be for the novice in mind.

Thanks

P.S. I should add that though I've seen many options on how to do this I'd still like some suggestions on which type of setup would be the best way. What type of unit to be looking for. Or would it be 'better' to use the same converter I have and just add extra circuits for the (30amp) 120vac. It is just the 120vac that needs upgrading.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:37:34 PM by MIEric »

Offline Vir2

• Ole' Elmer Like
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
Ive got a 30amp box complete with breakers Im going to be selling if you need one, just message me.

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »
eric call me i can help
I'll do that tomorrow (3/19/03). Sorry I hadn't seen it till now. Just got around to checking on this.

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »
Well, it's done. May be a bit un-orthodoz but it all checks out thus far.

I placed it here because I didn't want to take up any current storage space.

Because it's around a water source the 120VAC is water proof on top of being GFCI protected. I just couldn't waterproof the secondary converter.
The secondary converter is plugged into a switched outlet placed in the back of the OEM converter box,  rocker switched on the front of the OEM panel.
The secondary converter has a 47amp capacity and there is a 12VDC 6 circuit fuse box placed on the top.
I switched the secondary converter because it's a bit noisier than I would prefer and won't be used until high-draw 12V is needed. It's not all that noisy but not silent.
The power cord is a 6' pigtail.  Gives me 31' to the shore panel.
The coiled length is taking up the space I would place my 300watt inverter...if I decided I even want much less need to add it in.  I'll deal with that if I decide to put it in for the battery system.

I opted to keep the OEM converter and just incorporate it in and compact all the controls into it. There's nothing wrong enough with it to go through all that is necessary to totally replace it other than it's just not strong enough. At some point I'll probably reroute the wiring for the furnace into the secondary converter.
I put in a 7 1/2 amp push on/pull off breaker/switch I had for the water pump when I get that installed. The pump draws 5.8AMP at full flow so we'll see if it works out as the pump recommendations are for a 15amp fuse. Which the circuit will be on a 15amp fuse. If there's an issue with the 7 1/2amp breaker I placed it so a toggle switch can easily be put in the breakers place. The pump is an automatic but I wanted it switched anyway, just in case.

I powered the OEM converter off the Line side of the 30AMP push on/pull off breaker so the two systems can be individually controlled. Not sure why but thought it a good idea at the time.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:33:55 PM »
Nice and clean.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
One of the best modifications I have seen! Very clean upgrade and yet keeps the OEM look! I love the way you left the old system in place. I guess if I ever need more shore power I will follow your lead. As it is when I dry camp one deep cell battery gives me all power for days without a recharge so I'm more fishing and little watt usage at night so I'm good for OEM gear right now. I will be adding a small water pump but the draw isn't very much either. ;D Keep up the nice upgrades. :)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal