Author Topic: PSI new tires  (Read 921 times)

Offline apachejeep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Moose
PSI new tires
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Ok so I got new- load -range "D" tires, two questions if you please!
- When I have my Garage mount tires, they usually seat the tires at around 32 PSI. How soon can I increase to Max pressure of 70 PSI. I was thinking around a day or so.
- On hot summer days do I need to concern myself with the hot-air overinflation.
Thanks for any replies.

Offline Pony Power

• Ole' Elmer Like
Re: PSI new tires
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
I have never heard of under inflating tires on purpose. In my lifetime the tire guys have always aired to recommended psi and said have a nice day. Air the tires to wherever the sidewall says and use them.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »
    I always check my tire pressure before a trip and inflate to the max PSI or a couple pounds under.  I have to go along with Dan tell them to inflate to almost max pressure. I have heard running the tires a couple pounds under is a good idea, but that's all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:15:05 AM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:53 PM »
First, the max tire pressure on the tire is the max per the manufacturer, hot or cold.  So If you fill your tire cold to the max pressure, when the tires warm out, you will be over the max pressure rating.  Rule of them is to keep the tire 3 to 5 pounds below the max rating when cold.

Now my 69 Eagle tires had a max rating of 70 lbs.  If found running near this limit reduced the sway and bounce allow a smoother and more controlled drive.

Now my 74 Royal tire have a max rating of 65 lbs and I run them around 58 to 60 lbs.  Again this reduces the sway and bounce of pulling the trailer.

Read your tire first for the max pressure before inflating the tires.

One of the things I do is I check the tire temperature after driving a few miles, take a mini break, then push on.  Its just a simple hand on the tire treads just to be sure the tire is not overly hot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:02:00 AM by kanega »
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline apachejeep

• Moose
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
Thanks, to all who replied.

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
The Max PSI that's on the sidewall from the Manufacturer is the COLD PSI. You should NEVER top off your tires on ANY vehicle when they're hot. If you forget to check the air before you get on the road, & feel that they need air, then you should sit for a min of 3 hours to allow the air pressure inside that tire to cool off BEFORE you add any air to it. NEVER top off a "hot" tire - doing so will cause tire failure. Tell whoever's mounting your tires to put either the max from the sidewall in them OR just a few #'s under like Redwood said - but not more than 5# below. & Like Redwood said, ALWAYS check your tire pressure before you leave is the best way to prevent tire failure & overinflation. This information comes from my 45 years of being a Mechanic with the last 35 of that as a Certified Mechanic.

Again, NEVER top off a tire after you've been on the road for a bit, if you forget to before you leave, just sit & wait for "a mininum" of 3 hours, then top them off.
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Offline Bugman114

• Squirrel
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
on my tires it says something like "MAX load XXX Lbs @ XX PSI".  so i'm guessing the lower the pressure, the less the tire can handle, no?
Its not a hobby....... Its an addiction

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »
You can underinflate tires, but not too much - it causes 2 types of problems; #1 it causes the tires to heat up OR overheat (depending on how much underinflated they are) OR #2 - it WILL cause the camper to bounce ALOT (which pays a toll on your springs - it can cause them to break, amongst other problems. So you should keep your tires properly inflated.

Mike
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal