Author Topic: New Living Hing  (Read 2369 times)

Offline studioman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wolf
New Living Hing
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
I JUST received my new living hing materials from Redwood. VERY well stitched and it is clear the material he is using is TOP NOTCH!
Guess what I am doing tonight if I can get my day done at a reasonable time. ;D

THANKS Redwood! A bargain on a top of the line product! Now, I just hope the project goes as easy as people say!  ;)
1974 Roamer. A project but solid to start with.

Offline goldman22

• Wolf
  • State: Calif
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Mesa
Re: New Living Hing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
I as well just bought some living hinge from Redwood. Compared to some that I had bought before, off of eBay, this is top quality. Accept no imitations.
Enjoy gold mining but not getting rich. (yet)
1976 Mesa (looks like a hot-dog stand with the awning set up.

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
I also purchased the living hing from Greg after already having the cheaper stuff that unravels and cannot be burned on the edges. I agree that if you want the stuff that lasts then Greg makes it! ;)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline studioman

• Wolf
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
Went in easy! Well, the main bed wall isn't fun by any means. But the sides are simple and easy. I got the back bed done last night. Tonight the front bed.
Have a capable helper. Having someone feed it as you pull it, using the wall as the pull (moving it back and forth and inch at a time once you get 1/2 in.
I'm seriously doubting I would have taken this whole project on without you guys! The entire camper was a pain in the ass, polishing the aluminum alone was a total nightmare.
Thanks again guys...
But this will be my last restore on any kind of pop-up camper!  8)

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Studioman,

The hard work is what keeps you cherishing your trailer. I know that each time I see a fixer upper I know what I would have do all over again and I really think all the members only want to restore one thing at a time and never do it again!!! ;D I like working on my Apache but say that I would like to polish another one again and spit out the black stuff, well not really!!! >:( Although I keep doing stuff to my camper that is difficult I really don't like doing things twice ;)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »
  Thank you guys I'm glad you like our living hinge, Mrs. Redwood does a great job sewing the hinge together. :) :) ;)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:04:40 PM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:31:09 AM »
Went in easy! Well, the main bed wall isn't fun by any means. But the sides are simple and easy. I got the back bed done last night. Tonight the front bed.
Have a capable helper. Having someone feed it as you pull it, using the wall as the pull (moving it back and forth and inch at a time once you get 1/2 in.
I'm seriously doubting I would have taken this whole project on without you guys! The entire camper was a pain in the ass, polishing the aluminum alone was a total nightmare.
Thanks again guys...
But this will be my last restore on any kind of pop-up camper!  8)
     Mike,
     When you do the other bed end, as your helper is feeding the hinge to you try using a pair of needle nose pliars to pull your side through. It should go through much easier that way.
     It's true there is a lot of work in restoring these trailers but now you have one of the best pop up trailers ever built. When you go out camping, you'll really enjoy all your hard work. No doubt some other camper will come up to you and want to know all about this hard side pop up trailer you own.
 These are the times when you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.  You said "this will be your last restore on any pop up trailer" you won't ever have to do it again because now you have the best there is. Enjoy it Mike , summer is coming fast. I can't wait to hear about your camping trips.  :) :)
GREG

Offline studioman

• Wolf
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 07:57:48 AM »
My Living hing project is totally complete. :-)

Tonight, I must fabricate the ends/stops of the main aluminum living hings on the main side walls.  ???

Offline Luckyhex

• Marshmallow Roaster
  • State: Ontario
  • Type of Camper: Royal
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:39 PM »
Living hinge arrived in Canada today and looks like a quality product! Thanks Greg and Mrs Redwood for the great service and fast shipping. Now if only the weather would cooperate but i guess rain is better than snow
Thanks again Len

Offline Parkland

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »

It's true there is a lot of work in restoring these trailers but now you have one of the best pop up trailers ever built.

I just had a thought after reading this that I cant help but share. Although it can be classified as alot of work to restore a hard side Apache, its really the only pop up thats actually worth bothering with restoring. If you look at the other brands of tent trailers you can see a obvious difference in construction. You are dealing with tensioned cable and pully lift systems,(can you imagine trying to repair a traditional cable lift system? It would not be fun) really heavy roofs that are solid wood and sheet metal and the box structure that was pretty much manufactured to be rotted back into the ground after 25 years. Apaches are just too good and they also happen to be true.
1976 Ramada
1977 Cimarron SOLD
1974 Royal SOLD
1977 Ranger SOLD
1974 Mesa SOLD

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
Very true. Spence,
I always remember Tim S saying how apaches were built to last 75 years, and really if the owners would take care of them right from the start I'm sure they would last 75 years.  ;)
GREG

Offline Parkland

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
Wow. Tim is totally right! Thats the total truth. That cant be said about any other pop up trailer!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:34:45 PM by Parkland »
1976 Ramada
1977 Cimarron SOLD
1974 Royal SOLD
1977 Ranger SOLD
1974 Mesa SOLD

Offline studioman

• Wolf
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
Valid point FOR SURE! It is the reason I was willing to do the restore project in the first place. Done correctly, the camper will last me the next 30+ years with some limited proper maintenance.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal