Author Topic: My power convertor replacement  (Read 3810 times)

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
My power convertor replacement
« on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »

This is how I did the 30A cord coming out of the convertor - it hangs in the little cabinet.

Works GREAT!

Also installed a 30A 110V outlet under the convertor wired with 10/3 wire for running the portable A/C unit & a double outlet w/ 10/3 wire in the front panel between the 2 dinette benches.
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
Re: My power convertor replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

This is how I did the 30A cord coming out of the convertor - it hangs in the little cabinet.

Works GREAT!

Also installed a 30A 110V outlet under the convertor wired with 10/3 wire for running the portable A/C unit & a double outlet w/ 10/3 wire in the front panel between the 2 dinette benches.
Is that the/an OEM converter Mike? If not it's REALLY close to looking like one. But I'm assuming it's a 30amp. Nice match to the OEM if it is.

At this point I'm contemplating keeping my OEM in place and removing most of the load draw off it. Transferring the higher draw to the 30amp upgrade.

I'll probably keep the lighting, fridge and furnace, if I keep the furnace, on the OEM. I plug the night light in the OEM. Just a nice location for it. I could just add a 110Vac outlet for the night-light when removing the converter if I did but I'm just not sure that's the way I'll go about this.
Use the 30amp distribution for the added 110Vac outlets and added 12Vdc outlets and to feed the OEM converter.

I'm still figuring this all out as I'm not yet ready to do the electric upgrade. For some reason I'm thinking this will eliminate the need for a total rewire when upgrading to the 30amp. Yet to be done in a way of easy transfer if I do decide to remove the OEM converter later.

Right now I'm using up a lot of limited brain capacity to figure out saving the physical work when the time comes  :-\ .
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:52:48 AM by MIEric »

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
Eric,

No, that's not the OEM convertor, I bought this one off of Craigslist from a lady that parted out her old Jayco pop-up. It had the 30A cord attached to it, but it was 30 feet long - so beings that I wasn't going to be able to coil 30 feet of that 30A 10/3 cord up & stow it into that little box; I cut it down & installed the male end (that way I can connect with either another RV cord OR with the adapter - a regular extension cord).
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
Mike,

Your unite does look stock! I think it was a great idea to look at Craigslist to get other Pop up converters that will fit in the OEM place. You did a great job and I think other members will be looking at parts from other Pop Ups to upgrade their classic Apache Trailers! :)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: '73 Mesa
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but what is the benefit of a 30 amp setup?  Just being able to power more things at the same time?

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
Yep Dreamer, you nailed it   :)

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Dreamer,

Lots of members like Televisions, Air Conditioners, Stereos and Microwaves. When pay and got full hook ups then you can run everything like fans and all the equipment of modern comfort at the same time if you got a 30amp converter. Other members have rice cookers, coffee makers crock pots ::). I use very little electronics and the ones I use are low voltage so I have enough with the stock convertor to get by. However, when you pay $45 or $60 :o for full hook ups you want to take advantage of all the electric comforts and the original converter is not enough juice to handle these items. The camp sites that offer electric hook ups all have 30amp plug in. For us stock converter people we buy a "pig tail" adapter to plug in the big watt system! ;) :)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: '73 Mesa
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »
Dreamer,

Lots of members like Televisions, Air Conditioners, Stereos and Microwaves. When pay and got full hook ups then you can run everything like fans and all the equipment of modern comfort at the same time if you got a 30amp converter. Other members have rice cookers, coffee makers crock pots ::). I use very little electronics and the ones I use are low voltage so I have enough with the stock convertor to get by. However, when you pay $45 or $60 :o for full hook ups you want to take advantage of all the electric comforts and the original converter is not enough juice to handle these items. The camp sites that offer electric hook ups all have 30amp plug in. For us stock converter people we buy a "pig tail" adapter to plug in the big watt system! ;) :)

Thank you.  I don't plan on running lots of things (at least now anyways) but it never occurred to me that my existing plug might not work at a campground.  I am going to Watchman Campground at Zion National Park in a few months and they offer electricity at all the sites.  So if I get a pig tail adapter I can just connect it to my original converter then?

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
Usually there is a fuse box with a 30 amp plug and sometimes a 110. But if not then you need an adapter. I would buy one and keep it in my camper because you don't want to need it at camp! :)

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
I just got one of those EXACT SAME converters this past weekend that I am about to put into my Mesa...
lessee... red white and blue wires coming out the back are 12V I'm guessing; 
how does it get wired; I am gonna guess, tell me if this is right.   RED= power in from 12V battery or on board aux battery 
BLUE... "power "out" of box to fridge, lighting etc...   WHITE>> ground for fridge, fan, overhead lighting etc.
It has 2 separate 120V AC circuits.  I only have a couple of 120V outlets in my camper I am gonna wire that receptacle to one circuit
and the other AC breaker to a new, separate outlet for the AC that I now have going in.

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
crap... >:( :o decisions decisions...  I have my original 15A converter pulled out  and measured the space its in.  If I want to put this 30A unit "in that spot" I gotta lose my water tank. 
I know I can hook up direct and have it be moot IF I have water access on my campsite... but as we all know they don't all have that.  so do I put it under the dinette seat and keep my water tank? 
I dont remember what particular model of Apache you have,  mine's a 76 Mesa.    if I do put the converter box in the dinette compartment (I would have it face the same way the current one does)  I have been considering getting a car stereo and adding to the camper (when I find a good sale so it won't be"now") but  I mainly want the bigger converter for when I get around to adding the AC  which won't be "right away" either....

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal