Author Topic: Replacement axle & brakes  (Read 12165 times)

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
Replacement axle & brakes
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290363381794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.easternmarine.com/61-round-tube-straight-trailer-axle-2700-50228

Ordered the axle tonight, gonna wait to see if HOPEFULLY MAYBE my Fayette brakes will fit this axle. NEVER KNOW! lol
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Offline grubbyjeans

• Wolf
  • The top raises up?!!!!!
Re: Replacement axle & brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290363381794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.easternmarine.com/61-round-tube-straight-trailer-axle-2700-50228

Ordered the axle tonight, gonna wait to see if HOPEFULLY MAYBE my Fayette brakes will fit this axle. NEVER KNOW! lol

Hi Mike.
Noticed that you orderded from RandP Carriages. Them is good folks. That's where I got my bed seal. They sent me a sample so I could check fit before ordering.

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: '73 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
I look forward to seeing how this plays out!

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I get the axle.
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
Hi,

I crawled under the Mesa tonight and took a bunch of measurements to get a quote on replacing my axle.  It was not easy to see exactly what the tape read at certain points.  I was wondering if you could look at the measurements and tell me if they sound right:

- 2200 lb. round tube straight Fayette axle (1.75" diameter)

- 47" spring center

- 59.5" hub face

- 63" overall length (from tip of spindle to tip of spindle)

- 10"x6" rims, 4-lug

- 7 1/4" electric brakes

- 20.5 x 8-10 tires

Thanks!

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »
I just got off the phone with the local Dexter Axle supplier in my area.  He quoted me $500 to recreate my existing axle.  Got to be a more cost-effective way.

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
I just got off the phone with the local Dexter Axle supplier in my area.  He quoted me $500 to recreate my existing axle.  Got to be a more cost-effective way.
"re create"? HUH?   

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:12:42 AM »
"re create"? HUH?   

Make a new axle based on my old one...

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Cassidy,
Get ahold of  Pescador, Hector, he just put a new axle on his 76 Mesa. I'm pretty sure he paid less then you were quoted. He's going to give a demo at the round up on changing out the axle.  ;)
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
Cassidy,

Dexter should be able to make an axel for less than $500.00! I got a surge brake axel flipped with easy greasing for $315.00. I also needed some bigger U bolts and shipping was still under $400.00.  The axel is rated at 2,500 pounds and I had to modify a plate for the framing but in the end I got a nice axel with a 4 1/2 inch lift! Cassidy I believe you have electric brakes and should get a better price.
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
Cassidy,

Dexter should be able to make an axel for less than $500.00! I got a surge brake axel flipped with easy greasing for $315.00. I also needed some bigger U bolts and shipping was still under $400.00.  The axel is rated at 2,500 pounds and I had to modify a plate for the framing but in the end I got a nice axel with a 4 1/2 inch lift! Cassidy I believe you have electric brakes and should get a better price.

Great, where did you order it?  I looked at dexteraxle.com and didn't see any order form, only distributors.  I called the closest one to me (still 30 minutes away) and the guy told me $500.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »
Try the website.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
Dreamer,

Do you want one to fit stock or over the springs? I wanted a little higher ride to protect my gear boxes when I fish for trout in the mountains and I can honestly say that the modifications where worth it for me because if anything the ride is better than stock! Next question is do you have electric or surge brakes? The measurements from outter surface of the hub to outer surface is 60 inches but I went with 65 inches a gain of 2 1/2 inches to get the brake plumbing clearance and it even made the ride better and more stable. The center spring to spring is 47 inches I believe but I will check for you. I say that if you can pick it up then the cheapest axel with no lube and 2,500 pounds with the 7 1/4 inch brakes is a little under $300 and if it has the self lube option it isn't much more. Now I was checking for surge brakes but electric brakes should not be much more. You can call the 1 800 number and speak with someone again and let them know what our members have been paying and that you are willing to pick it up! What ever you want you are going to have to pick up "U" bolts four of them with the backing plates because the tubing is over 2 inches and the old ones does not work so that might be around $40.00 from Dexter but great quality.

Hectdor ;)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
Dreamer,

Do you want one to fit stock or over the springs? I wanted a little higher ride to protect my gear boxes when I fish for trout in the mountains and I can honestly say that the modifications where worth it for me because if anything the ride is better than stock! Next question is do you have electric or surge brakes? The measurements from outter surface of the hub to outer surface is 60 inches but I went with 65 inches a gain of 2 1/2 inches to get the brake plumbing clearance and it even made the ride better and more stable. The center spring to spring is 47 inches I believe but I will check for you. I say that if you can pick it up then the cheapest axel with no lube and 2,500 pounds with the 7 1/4 inch brakes is a little under $300 and if it has the self lube option it isn't much more. Now I was checking for surge brakes but electric brakes should not be much more. You can call the 1 800 number and speak with someone again and let them know what our members have been paying and that you are willing to pick it up! What ever you want you are going to have to pick up "U" bolts four of them with the backing plates because the tubing is over 2 inches and the old ones does not work so that might be around $40.00 from Dexter but great quality.

Hectdor ;)

Hi Hector,

I am just going to stick with the stock setup for the axle on the springs.  I have electric brakes.  Would appreciate hearing the measurements because I measured mine attached to the trailer and it was hard to be sure.  Sounds like 47" spring-to-spring, 60" hub face and 63" overall is about right though. 

I contacted www.randpcarriages.com and they gave me a quote of $225.00 for those measurements (plus shipping -- $100!) for a new axle with electric brakes/new hubs.  I will give Dexter a call but I cannot pick anything up from them as they have no manufacturing facility in Southern California.

Is it true that modern 7" brake assemblies cannot be mated to the Fayette axles?  Why is that?  Such a hassle . . .

I am also exploring getting my existing 7.25" shoes relined.  A shop 20 minutes from me says if they can do it they'll charge around $50 for all the shoes.  I hate putting money into these obsolete rusty brakes though . . .

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
The 7.25 brakes Fayette have more braking surface than the Dextor 7 inch brakes.  first the diameter is larger and the length area bigger.  Second, the width is larger too.  Again more braking area.  Now if you go to a 10" brake, that's night and day area difference.  I would check with Dextor on the weight limits they set for a 7" brake before deciding.  I do use a variable control brake controller and it runs in the mid range for towing.  So likely by cranking up the controller and working the Dexter brakes harder, they would work for me.

I have a 74 Royal fully loaded.

If you just need shoes, just get them relined.  That's what I did.  If I needed a new coil, I would adapt my brakes to handle it.  If I needed a drum, I would check into a foundry with machine shop to make a new drum.  Bearings and grease seals are standard trailer parts available today.  If the spindles are replacable, I would check into that with all new brake assemblies.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal