Author Topic: Wheel well help  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Survivalist45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: Virginia
  • Type of Camper: 78 Ramada , 73 Ramada
Wheel well help
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:13:03 AM »
Hello, been a lurker forever, but now I need help I cannot find with the search function.

I've owned a 78 ramada for about 5 years now, was in good shape when I got it, let my brother stay in it when he was down on his luck.

He pretty well destroyed it, I've been spending months fixing everything to get it ready to camp.  Picked up a 73 ramada as a parts camper. 

Now for my question.  My left wheel well on the 78 is trashed beyond any hope of MEK repair.  I pulled the right one out of the 73 where the goucho was, and it seems an inch too tall, so my question is. Are they different right to left, or are they different per year.   

Thank you and I'm sorry for the long post.  Just want to know before I rip all of the cabinets out of the 73 just to find the same problem with fitment.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:20:25 AM by Survivalist45 »

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
Re: Wheel well help
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
Definitely a good question.

I've removed and installed wheel wells from one Apache to another, and did not make any marks as to which side they came from, so either I was very lucky in putting them in the right place, or there is no difference between left and right.

I'm a bit surprised that the '73 is a bit taller, but I know Vesley made design adjustments over the years, so it certainly is possible. Having said that, you may need to find one from a later unit, when they made few changes (think '75-'76 and up).

So, no salvaging the old one, eh? I've often thought, if they are the same, one could make a fiberglass mold from the good one, then use the mold as a guide to rebuild the broken one - but I've yet to try anything like that...

Not much help I know...   :-\
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 12:18:14 AM »
Just make a new one out of sheet metal, install some supportive brackets and under coat below.  You just need a yard stick, a pair of cutters, and a couple pieces of wood and clamps to bend the metal, and self tapping metal screws.  It will just take half a day.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline RonKemp

• Chipmunk
  • State: Ontario
  • Type of Camper: 79 Ramada
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
I have the same problem I need a right side for my 79 I'm thinking fiberglass sheet metal would work but there is a small lip around the outside of the body I don't know how I would bend that.

Offline Terry

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what is on your mind. 8)
    • http://www.hosttec.com
  • State: Florida
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer, 74 Mesa, 77 Mesa
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
I have purchased new ones from Apache Parts, but it was like 15 years ago.  You might check with them.
Lost....But making good time.
http://www.hosttec.net

Offline medicmike5969

• Global Moderator
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: MI
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Ramada
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
They are the same from side to side. Now the year might be different, but I wouldn't think an inch would make a big difference.

I got  pair from Tim before he got out of it & then re-enforced them with 2 layers of fiberglass cloth & MEK goo.

I do have one of mine that has all the pieces, if someone wants it to repair.

Let me know?

Mike
248-933-6616 (cell)
1978 Ramada / 2012 Chevy Suburban
Michael '59 / Sara '68 / Mikayla '01/ Zues (Big Fat dog) Jan. 21, 2010/ Mia (Papa's little babygirl) Dec 4, 2020
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=36

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal