Author Topic: My SOA (Spring Over Axle) suspension lift project  (Read 17314 times)

Offline Pescador

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
Re: My SOA (Spring Over Axle) suspension lift project
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
Cecil,

I just ordered the 24" step and will be doing the angle iron 15" long set up! I got inspired after I saw your picture and I have been welding with O.O35 flux Mig Wire so I now have the equipment to get job done. Otherwise I would have gone with the standard so I wouldn't have to weld. I love your gussets! I did mine from some scrap metal out of some large glue laminate hangers I had laying around and they worked great but yours are more custom and I am sure other members will now be able to take those drawings to a weld shop and have some made up. I agree not to have the holes drilled because different campers might have settled differently and might be different. I would also recommend drilling and installing each bolt at a time to get it right for each camper. I love my lift and don't regret having gotten the extra clearance especially after I put in those wider double steps!!! That was the only thing I have been hating since I completed the lift!! ;D :)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline kanega

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
Re: My SOA (Spring Over Axle) suspension lift project
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
Just remember, never re-use axle Ubolts.  They are designed for one use only with tighter spec.  My brother reused one Ubolt, and it cam loose months later.  A work associate both a 67 Mustang where the previous owner reused the axle Ubolts and his rear axle fell off one night, slammed into a store and totaled his classic car.  Just be careful.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal