Author Topic: 73 Mesa bearing size  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Chucknbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Squirrel
  • State: OH
  • Type of Camper: 73 Mesa
73 Mesa bearing size
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »
Well, I've got next week off and we're planning on taking off on a long camping trip. Before I do so, I want to pack (and maybe replace) the bearings. Can anyone tell me the part number of the bearings and seals?

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
Re: 73 Mesa bearing size
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
The easiest way might be to remove one of the hubs and take it with you to an auto supply shop. There should be numbers stamped on the race of each bearing to indicate their size.

If you go that route, though, you're kinda committed to replacing them, since you have to drive them out of the housing.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »
The 73 axle different from the 74 axle, but the bearings and grease seals are standard trailer parts.  Pull the bearing and find  the parts numbers.  They may start with something like LM.  Look up on easternmarine .com for the sizes.  The grease seal will be the inter bearing size also.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Gary you posted some bearing and grease seal sizes a couple years ago and they were exactly what my 73 needed. I went in with my old ones and showed them to the salesman and I showed him the numbers that you had given us and it was the perfect size.
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline The Dreamer

• Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: '73 Mesa
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
I just ordered new bearings and races from eTrailer for my '73 Mesa.  This is what I ordered:

L44649 Bearing
Lm11949 Bearing
L44610 Race for L44649
Lm11910 Race for Lm11949

I am pretty confident that is correct but I have yet to receive them to compare with my existing bearings.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:13 PM »
Normally, bearings come with the chases.  Remember, you need a machine shop with the press to remove and press in the new chases.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:25:01 AM »
Gary, the last bearings I had pressed by a machine shop, was a pair of rear axle bearings on a 1964 Ford Falcon in 1977.   
Wheel bearings and races are fairly easy.
I use a ball penn hammer, an old piece of 2x4, a flat punch and the old races and bearings to remove and seat the new races.   I like pounding out the races on the old hubs as most have 2 indentions at 180 degrees in the hub just for this purpose.  My 1969 Eagle has them.  I maybe old school, but I still pack bearings with the palm method my father taught me decades ago.  You are correct, bearings usually come with races but not always.   I always replace the race with new bearings.  Some say it's not necessary but my father always told me, " They wear as a pair, to replace one without the other is shoddy work."   
"Never skimp he said, you will regret it."   I currently own 5 trailers and have changed many a bearing and race in my lifetime and I have to say, I have never been stranded on the road due to a bearing.  Dad must have been right. 
Grampawsnazzy
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
The last bearing chases I installed, well a hammer and screwdriver for 3 hours to get them out, a press installed the new chases in 5 minutes and perfectly inserted, now grease seals, a hammer and a piece of wood works nicely.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Offline Chucknbob

• Squirrel
  • State: OH
  • Type of Camper: 73 Mesa
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
Awesome, thanks Dreamer. I don't know if the bearings need replaced, but I wanted to make sure they're available, just in case. I ran the numbers, and my local Napa has them. Now, as long as it doesn't rain Saturday, the Mesa will be back in business

Offline Fyouberg

• Squirrel
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: Apache Mesa 1976
Two races per wheel?
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
I'm either missing something simple or the bearings and races for my 76 Mesa are missing a part. I took them apart and here is what I got:

The parts that i find are (from left to right) grease cap, cotter pin, nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing and inner seal (race?). This forum always seems to list two bearings and two seals per wheel. Am I missing something here. Feeling pretty stupid about now.  :P
Fred
"Hey, this looks like fun. I'll race ya!"

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
The races are pressed into the drum itself.  Just inspect them to be sure they are undamaged.  The Race is what the bearing goes into the drum.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
Bearing inspection, removed all the grease or as much as possible.  What you are looking for are missing rollers or damaged rollers.  The rollers should extend outside  the outer cover when you press the center piece into the outer case.  Also turn the bearings and should turn easily.  If you have resistance, clean to remove any dirt or a damaged roller.  I use my finger to force grease backing the bearing openings before remounting the bearing.  All caked grease must be removed.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
Re: Two races per wheel?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »
The parts that i find are (from left to right) grease cap, cotter pin, nut, washer, outer bearing, inner bearing and inner seal (race?).
You have all the parts there. As Kanega stated, the races are pressed into the drum assembly - they look like two rings, almost the same thickness as the bearings themselves. There should only be one seal (inner) - the outer "seal" is your grease cap.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline Fyouberg

• Squirrel
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: Apache Mesa 1976
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Thanks folks. I was sure getting mixed up about races and seals. I think I've got it now and have ordered just the bearings and seals. Mucho gracias!
Fred
"Hey, this looks like fun. I'll race ya!"

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal