Author Topic: Ramada Lift Job, DONE!  (Read 3957 times)

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Raccoon
  • State: WA
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Apache Ramada
Ramada Lift Job, DONE!
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
Just finished up my Ramada lift job (with some pro help last night from a mobile welder), complete with new axle (3500 lb.), brakes, wheels (13" as pictured but I'm going up to 15") -- the whole "shebang."  The new spring hangers are mounted to some 4x4x0.25 square stock, high enough to clear the frame "gusset." I also moved out the springs to 52" (from 47") and went with a longer axle 67" (from 60").  Now that I can easily get underneath, I'm going to tackle the frame painting job (POR-15).  Total cost for this job was $1015 and some badly bloodied knuckles.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:37:05 PM by McNeill_PNW »

Offline jkmacboy

• Raccoon
  • The Royal Sunflower -----@
  • State: NY
  • Type of Camper: 76 Apache Royal
Re: Ramada lift job complete!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
Pretty Rad! I'm curious to hear how it handles....whats different?

Jerry
I live in Brooklyn NY. My "76" Apache Royal lives in Lakeville CT, we miss each other :-)

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Raccoon
Re: Ramada lift job complete!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
Thanks, me too.  If I did it again I would have chosen slightly shorter hangers (I bought the tallest I could find) and used 2x4 steel instead of 4x4.  It's about 3" higher than I was hoping, but it was tough to estimate the ride height until everything was tacked in place and under load.  We've got some nasty forest service roads here in the Cascades that beg for maximum ground clearance.  I'm hoping the added height is offset by the wider axle -- I also don't have any galley, fridge, water tanks, etc., so the center of gravity is pretty low. 

FYI, the two port side holes are for my new Suburban furnace -- the cover is Tyvek cut from a travel trailer cover. 

I always thought that putting things "up on blocks" was more of an expression, but there was no other way.  I'll go one block higher when I get around to the painting (I used a farm jack to do one corner (and one block) at a time) so I can at least sit upright.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:31:22 PM by McNeill_PNW »

Offline BBY2KS2K

• Wolf
Re: Ramada Lift Job, DONE!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
Wow! Looks good. Obviously the original stabilizers aren't going to be much help. What are you going to use in their place?
1973 Apache Ramada - camping rig
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport - tow rig
2000 Honda S2000 - fun car

My Ramada's makeover...

http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=12644.0

- Jason

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Raccoon
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
Good point about the jacks.  I'm not interested in carrying extra blocks, etc., so I'll have to go with something longer.  I've seen some scissors jacks that extend to 30", but I'll have to get creative with how they're mounted.  I'm sure it's been done, but I'll need to dig through the forum(s) to get some inspiration.  I like those aluminum screw-type jacks, but I don't like having to travel with them.

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
Good job.

Not to get off topic but can you expound on the cover? Interesting...and the way you've used to secure it.

Offline Shadoh

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: Arizona
  • Type of Camper: 85 Royal
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:39 AM »
Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I want to lift my 85 Royal for off road use.  Any feedback now that you have used it?

I was thinking I would run a new frame the whole length of the camper to stiffen the whole thing up.  I was going to go with the 3500lb axles that I assume are the same ones you picked.  Do the electric brakes work ok with the stock controller?

I was also considering mounting the factory wheels all the way to the rear of the camper but tucked up underneath with no springs.  Something for the rear end to ride on when she drags her butt on on the trails.

Any feedback would be great, thanks.

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
Boy, have I dreamed about turning a road trailer into a offroad. 

A 35 yrs old trailer designed for the roads in the U.S. can not take the beating no what you do to it.  It was never designed for that.  Over time it will not last.
Save your money and take tips from this. 

Camper Trailer Australia - Review, Aussie Swag - Ultra D

Grampawsnazzy. 

P.S.  If it were me I would start with a M101A2 cargo trailer. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:54:07 AM by Grampawsnazzy »
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline john F

• Deer
  • 1968 Ramada
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
Aussie trailer NICE if you have $50,000 + Extras on bottom of list,,,
I will Keep my 1968 Apache Ramada, THANKS
John Fetz
the AC bracket guy

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
Boy, have I dreamed about turning a road trailer into a offroad. 

A 35 yrs old trailer designed for the roads in the U.S. can not take the beating no matter what you do to it.  It was never designed for that.  Over time it will not last.
Save your money and take tips from this. 

Camper Trailer Australia - Review, Aussie Swag - Ultra D

Grampawsnazzy. 

P.S.  If it were me I would start with a M101A2 cargo trailer.
   I agree with you Kevin, I just bought my second Apache trailer a Roamer that was used off road for hunting and I can tell you there was some damage done to the trailer. Mostly cracks on the frame. The ABS was also not meant to take the beating from driving off road with them.
   The cracks in my frame have now been welded and there are more repairs to be done from taking it off road. But hopefully we can save this one and then keep it on the road. ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:20:36 AM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Raccoon
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »
Agreed -- my Ramada, despite its "lift," won't be headed off-road.  However, it's now much better suited for the USFS roads that criss-cross my section of the North Cascades.  The added ground clearance is really meant to address sharp changes in road grade --  \ / or / \ -- and the myriad of water-filled potholes of indeterminable depth (I've hit some you could take a bath in!).  The folded sidewalls and ABS bed ends wouldn't survive much (if any) true "off-roading."

Offline sadayo

• Marshmallow Roaster
  • Glamper
  • Type of Camper: Glamper
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
No more worries about reverse thread bolts? :) Wedging into National Forest camp areas is one of many reasons we sold our vintage travel trailer and went in search for a vintage pop up. Even though our Ramada folds out to be about the same length as our other one, you don't have a huge box behind you when you're maneuvering. We're going to take the Apache out on several trips to see how clearance goes with our favorite spots.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal