Author Topic: Wheel Bearings Need Help  (Read 20719 times)

Offline The Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Elk
  • "The Dreamer"
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: '73 Mesa
Re: Wheel Bearings Need Help
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
I just rebuilt my brakes on my Mesa with new shoes and turned drums.  I was told the tire should spin 1-2 rotations and stop and the brakes are adjusted properly at that point.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
Bonnie,
I meant I turned off the brake controller. I have one hub Thai is running hotter then the other side.
I'm concerned about this. I've been driving slow and checking the hub about every 50 miles.
Anyway we are about a hundred miles from Las Vegas right now where we will spend the night. Tomorrow is the last run to make it home. Hope the hub doesn't get to hot in the desert, if I brake down in the desert I know who to call, right Otis? Lol

It's been a good trip except the worry over the hub. Hopefully I'll get it fixed when we get home. I really like the new Roamer.
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline ladynew

• Squirrel
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
Greg, I sure hope you make it through the desert without any problems! Our flat in 111 degree heat about 7 miles into AZ, outside of Henderson, NV is very fresh in our minds. I would really, really hate for you to have to broil in the sun like we did! Whew!! It was awful! Prayers going up for your safe and UNEVENTFUL travels!!

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
Wilco!

Here are the numbers from the "Parts and Accessories Manual, camper and boat trailer axle components 2,000 Lb. capacity. Fayette Division Dayton-Walther Corporation" Looks like the date on the cover is 3/73. (KB 3/73 - 20M)

Inner cup-L44610-08-203276
Inner brg.- L44649-08-203689
Outer cup-LM11910-08-203141
Outer brg.-LM11949-08-204559
Grease seal-08-900107

The bearing numbers look like Timken numbers to me...at least up to the first dash. 

Bob

bearing numbers across brands are a lot alike and interchange info is easy to find too.  now a days they have "bearing sets" which are 1 bearing and 1 race   I think the extras that came with my Mesa are a "SET 2" and a "SET 4"   I don't have any extra seals though.

If you pull a wheel and pop the races with a long flat-punch and hammer the numbers will be on there.... go to an auto parts store or industrial supply place --take them with if needed--  and they can pop them in the computer to come up with interchange info. Stay with a known name brand... Timken, National, SKF, Bower, Fafnir, Browning, etc, these are all well known to industry brands and been around basically forever. there are a couple other brands I can name off that are good,, as well....

Offline Big_Sur

• Elk
  • 76 Ramada, 72 Roamer, 63 Eagle
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
You're almost home, just stay out of the midday sun. It'll make you go crazy.  :P

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
My friend Greg,

If you have a jack then try and balance the axel in the middle and spin both wheels. The one that is hot is probably dragging on the hub slightly more. Eventually even if they are badly out of adjustment the one that is tight will wear down and they will have the same clearance but you can better get under the hub and loosen it with a screw driver. There will be a little plug you take out and just stick the flat screw driver into this round tooth bracket and l move it both ways to see which one will loosen or condense the pad so it will be like the one that doesn't heat up. I say balance the axel so you can swing both wheels to feel the correct one and the one that is out so you might need some blocks to make it more stable for adjustment so the trailer doesn't fall on you! Take care buddy and we are all praying you make it home safe. You might want to just stop at any shop and let them adjust the hot hub for you. ;)

Hector 8)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
O K Colleen and I spent two nights in Vegas and drove home today. What a great way to end our vacation, we really had a good time. Even won some money back. :D the truck is sitting outside waiting for us to unpack but we'll get to it.
  Although the hub kept getting a little hot we still got home OK . Now I can try and fix it at home where I have everything I need.
   Our three week vacation went really well. The new Roamer shows a lot of promise and we had a lot of time to talk about  our ideas of what we want to do to make it our own. Probably next weekend we will go to Havasu City to bring home our Mesa from John Fs house. We really want to thank John and Jill for letting us keep it there until we got back from Colorado.
   Hector, thank you for the advice on what to do about the hub. How are you doing now? Is your health getting better. many of us are worried about you. Did the doctor ever find out what was wrong with you? Hope you're doing better.    Best Wishes, Greg
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:00:54 PM by Redwood »
GREG

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
Greg, I sure hope you make it through the desert without any problems! Our flat in 111 degree heat about 7 miles into AZ, outside of Henderson, NV is very fresh in our minds. I would really, really hate for you to have to broil in the sun like we did! Whew!! It was awful! Prayers going up for your safe and UNEVENTFUL travels!!
yup I actually know that stretch...

Offline ladynew

• Squirrel
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »
Grubbyjeans and I are so glad you and Colleen made it home okay. After our experience in the desert outside of Henderson, NV, we're so glad your trip was easier. We had such fun at the Roundup and meeting new friends was the best. Hope we can do it again sometime.

Sheryl and Ray

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
Grubbyjeans and I are so glad you and Colleen made it home okay. After our experience in the desert outside of Henderson, NV, we're so glad your trip was easier. We had such fun at the Roundup and meeting new friends was the best. Hope we can do it again sometime.

Sheryl and Ray
   Sheryl,
    We had a great time too. Hope you and Ray will make another round up one day. You Made so many new friends.
    Colleen and I were so thankful for a safe trip all the way to Colorado and back. Our new Roamer looks good sitting in our driveway, next week I'll add the Mesa along side it.  ;)
                                                 Best Wishes, Greg and Colleen
GREG

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
Glad to hear you have made it home safe and sound and with no troubles. I'll be waiting to hear what you find with the hub. I never found anything wrong with mine, but I have not done the "spin test" yet. Hope I get a chance to make it to another Round-Up someday, lot's of fun.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
Glad to hear you have made it home safe and sound and with no troubles. I'll be waiting to hear what you find with the hub. I never found anything wrong with mine, but I have not done the "spin test" yet. Hope I get a chance to make it to another Round-Up someday, lot's of fun.
    Thank you Cecil,
    I have a feeling it's the brakes. But not sure. I'll be taking it apart in the next few weeks to see what I can find. Probably have to go out to Havasu City next weekend to get the Mesa and bring it home.
    It was great meeting you in person Cecil and I hope you make it to another round up also. The California round up will take place next year as always and you would be very welcome to join us.
   I have to look for the hitch lock like you have I really liked it. Also the marriage saver was to cool too. I sure like seeing all the ideas the apache owners have, I always come home with new ideas.
  Anyway thanks for coming and I hope to see you again.  Greg
GREG

Offline john F

• Deer
  • 1968 Ramada
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Greg, you don' have to RUSH, I have had 3 potential BUYERS for you Mesa, asking $1200 but since i have no Paper work it is hard to sell.........

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
Greg, you don' have to RUSH, I have had 3 potential BUYERS for you Mesa, asking $1200 but since i have no Paper work it is hard to sell.........
   You're killing me John. LOL  :D glad I didn't leave any paper work with you.  ;) 
GREG

Offline YellowstoneJoe

• Chipmunk
  • State: Texas
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Cimarron
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »
A bit late, but better late than never.   :)  I don't think that bearings have much to do with hubs/wheels heating up.  It is virtually always brake pads/shoes that cause the heat.  After driving a bit, either on the freeway, or around town, I walk around my car, or pickup, and touch the rims.  If any of the rims are warmer than the others I start paying a lot of attention to it and checking it often.  Before long, I take the wheel off and check the rotors/hubs/pads/shoes to determine what is happening.  All this to say that a hub/rim on a trailer that is getting warmer than the other hub/rim is being affected by the brake system in some manner.

Regarding marine grease, I started using it exclusively several years back.  Heat inside the hub and around the bearing simply will not cause it to soften, or reduce its benefit to the wheel bearing.  Yes, marine grease rules! :)

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal