Author Topic: To flip or not  (Read 12717 times)

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
To flip or not
« on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
   Hey Guys,
   As most of you know I picked up a 1976 Roamer a couple of weeks ago and I have been debating about something since I got it. The Roamer has an axle flip done on it and it did raise it several inches. So much so that it's kinda hard for me to get in it. I will have to add another step to get in easy. ON my Mesa I never thought about raising it because I never felt the need to do that.  Now I'm wondering if I should change the axle flip back to factory or leave it the way it is? I kinda want your opinion on axle flips and does it affect the ride of the trailer. I just pulled it over a thousand miles and really didn't notice much difference, but it seems that with the axle in the normal position it would have to ride better? what can you guys tell me about the affect the axle flip has on the trailer. Also does it make any difference what model you do it on. Shorter or longer, should I change it back?? comments or opinions ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:58:49 PM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline RangerBob

• Elk
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Royal
Re: To flip or not
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
Greg,

I feel the pain...in my knees. I am not a fan of steps. I, too, would be conflicted. I have been in several off road situations where I had to have a spotter watch as I slowly moved over a dip to see if I was going to drag. I guess everything is a compromise. Is the longer camper an issue in your driveway?

Bob
RangerBob
Enjoying a Vintage camper at an un-inflated price.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
   I don't plan on being off road with the trailer, so I really don't know if I need the axle flip the driveway is long enough for the Roamer I have no scraping but I have the axle flip. I just wonder if the ride will be better if I change the axle back to factory?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:23:55 AM by Redwood »
GREG

Offline RangerBob

• Elk
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Royal
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Well, If there is not operational reason... how does it look? Is it level going down the road or is the butt up in the air like a '60's hot rod? I like the low and level look on the road but I do get off road on occasion.
RangerBob
Enjoying a Vintage camper at an un-inflated price.

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Don't know if you noticed at the Round-Up that I have put double steps on mine because of the height increase. I have not had any problem with the ride but my new axle is longer than the stock one. If you lowered it I  think it would ride better because of the lower center of gravity and not catch as much air.
Think it would even help the MPG's.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Offline Parkland

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
I have zero specific experience with this subject but I have always assumed that people with axle flips either have a higher stance tow vehicle and or go off grid camping a lot. I prefer stock height appearance wise.
1976 Ramada
1977 Cimarron SOLD
1974 Royal SOLD
1977 Ranger SOLD
1974 Mesa SOLD

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
Anyone know how hard it would be to undo an axle flip and put it back to the way it came from the factory??
GREG

Offline Big_Sur

• Elk
  • 76 Ramada, 72 Roamer, 63 Eagle
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
Let me vent a minute.....My stock 76 Ramada cannot go in or out of my driveway...and I live about 20 feet above sea level. It just won't go over normal road gutters without scraping the gearbox skid plate, it scrapes going into rest stops, it scrapes pulling over to the side of the road. My rear stabilizers are ripped off. Those extra couple of feet is a huge decrease in angle from tire to gear box. If it's not flipped, you'll need to deal with this somehow. I'm not sure that skid wheels solves all of the issues with low clearance.  Changing the hitch drop just puts the front gearbox at risk. Are you sure you want to unflip the axle???

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
 Bonnie,
  I haven't heard other members with a Ramada or other longer models complain about the same issues that you seem to be dealing with. I wonder if there is just something wrong with your Ramada. But if they are having the same problems now would be a great time to bring it up. I really would like to know if the longer models have clearance issues so I could make the right decision with my Roamer.
  All you owners of longer Apache models, could you please chime in one way or another about any clearance issues you are, or are not having. My Mesa never had any problems with clearance issues but now that I have a longer model I really would like to know if I should keep this axle flip or not. Please give us your opinion.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:26:26 AM by Redwood »
GREG

Offline Big_Sur

• Elk
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »
I looked at all the longer trailers and talked to their owners at the last two roundups. They either had flipped/raised trailers or planned to do it soon, or used skid wheels, or rely on that gearbox skid plate. I just don't think that gearbox skid plate is going to save me for the road bump I didn't see in time.  There's lots of stories in the archives, look for "gearbox ripped off" or "ground clearance" or "skid wheels" for topics.

A box or step to stand on will cost you nothing, or $10 at Walmart. Keep it flipped unless it caused the trailer to be unstable while towing.

Offline camper78

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
I never worried about my Royal but now I have a 78 Ramada now I'm thinking. ??? What about leaf spring shackles to lift it two inches?
78 APACHE ROYAL and a 78 RAMADA. 76 RAMADA
May the Apache force be with you.

Offline Big_Sur

• Elk
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Otis, I'm thinking about that too. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix, along with skid wheels. Since you have 5-bolt rims, you might be able to get different tires to add an inch or two. I haven't investigated that, since I have 4-bolt rims. An inch or two makes a world of difference.

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
Anyone know how hard it would be to undo an axle flip and put it back to the way it came from the factory??

First you'll have to figure out what the previous owner did, and can go from there. Take some pictures of the axle where the U-bolt is and also picture of the entire axle. Also the frame area where the axle is. All these pictures are to determine 1, the axle was actually "flipped" as in 180 degrees and mounted under the spring OR 2,axle was mounted under the spring with a new spring perch welded on top of the axle like what I did to mine. Also to determine any modification was done to the frame.

1, if the axle is flipped, would highly recommend to put it back in original configuration. Not that you are in any danger while towing but your tires will be short lived.
2, if the axle is already mounted under the spring, frame is already modified in order to accommodate that. You must somehow reverse that process.
3, if you are to reverse the process, you will need at least a new set of U-bolt kit. Do not recommend to re-use the old hardware.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:54:53 PM by 79Ramada »
Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline grubbyjeans

• Wolf
  • The top raises up?!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

First you'll have to figure out what the previous owner did, and can go from there. Take some pictures of the axle where the U-bolt is and also picture of the entire axle. Also the frame area where the axle is. All these pictures are to determine 1, the axle was actually "flipped" as in 180 degrees and mounted under the spring OR 2,axle was mounted under the spring with a new spring perch welded on top of the axle like what I did to mine. Also to determine any modification was done to the frame.

1, if the axle is flipped, would highly recommend to put it back in original configuration. Not that you are in any danger while towing but your tires will be short lived.
2, if the axle is already mounted under the spring, frame is already modified in order to accommodate that. You must somehow reverse that process.
3, if you are to reverse the process, you will need at least a new set of U-bolt kit. Do not recommend to re-use the old hardware.

What 79Ramada said.

If the axle was flipped, you'll soon have tire issues (see pics in my gallery).
My axle change did not require any changes to the frame, so you might not have an issue there.

I've towed our Royal over 4000 miles since I replaced my axle (SOA) and didn't notice any changes in how it trailed or handled. The main difference I've noticed is that I can no longer see over it in the rear-view.

We do carry a small step stool that we deploy due to the extra height, but the added clearance is nice for the sake of the gearboxes and the holding tanks.

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
I cannot see how an axle flip will make the camper "ride harder" or cause tire issues unless the axle is placed out of square to the frame in the process of the flip. youre still supporting the same amount of weight, at the same point from front to back. the main issue I can see possibly coming out of it is keeping the camper level front to back with a higher stance. I had to flip my ball on the ball mount to tow this Mesa with my Dakota (stock height) and have the camper level. Nose high trailer or butt high can cause it to tow like crap. You want sway? tow with front or back of trailer higher than the other end.  ball mounts are relatively cheap.
Without seeing "how" they did the flip I cant tell you how to reverse it. I have built a few trailers over the years (flatbed utility types) from scratch. I have replaced several axles. I have shortened mobile home axles for use in a different application.  but without seeing what we are dealing with. I cant say.
Regarding re using U bolts. If they are the least bit rusty I get the torch out, wack em off and go buy new. but you dont live in the salt belt either. My son has a truck we bought out of Vegas and drove back to Chicago. working on a rustfree vehicle is all the difference in the world. so I cant say whether Id reuse anything in your case or not.

and seeing the title to this thread I was thinking "flip" in terms of buy for the sake of resale/ make a buck sort of thing, til I read the posts.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal