Author Topic: To flip or not  (Read 12718 times)

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
Re: To flip or not
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:13 PM »
  One thing I want to do is measure everything on the axle from ground up to axle on both sides. I want to make sure it's all true and straight. It looks OK to the eye but I want to measure also.
   Now as far as the frame I think I'm going to make something like 79Ramada did, what I have on there now is bent up and sloppy work. I agree the axle flip looks OK it's just the frame that's bothering me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:18:18 PM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
Now your talking Greg! ;) You are on the Apache path sort of Roaming around but finding your way! ;D :D ;)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »
Not the prettiest job I've ever seen but it looks like all the spring work was done right. Think I would take the lower frame bracket off and have a plate welded on that came down from the top of the opening about 4-5 inches for added strength.
 I would put on double steps depending on how high it is, I sure like mine. Not hard to fabricate hangers to bolt into with a couple of pieces of 2"x2" angle iron.
 If it rides good and stable I would leave it raised, don't have to worry about speed bumps and steep driveway's.

Yep I think you all have convinced me to keep it raised. Even Colleen says I should keep it the way it is.  I would like to find some stairs like you have Cecil. Do you remember where you got them from?
GREG

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
Now your talking Greg! ;) You are on the Apache path sort of Roaming around but finding your way! ;D :D ;)
   Well I'm glad I have made up my mind anyway. Hector that's a terrible pun LOL :D :D
   I have to make better frame supports though.
  ( 79Ramada) do you remember what gage metal you worked with when you made the frame supports.
GREG

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:14 PM »
 Just got through looking at the pictures in the gallery, and to me I think that lower frame work has to come off. Looks like it could cause more damage than any strength it is adding. The bracket that 79Ramada made looks great but even if you just used flat plate that came down to about to where the bottom of the angle iron is you should be fine.
 If you would like I'll get under mine tomorrow and take some pictures for you.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »
Greg,

Let me know as well about those stair things that I have not seen. I just use a big rock or something big that is raised 4 to 5 inches for a step! I always find something around the camp that works but your side sounds better. ;)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:27 PM »
Just got through looking at the pictures in the gallery, and to me I think that lower frame work has to come off. Looks like it could cause more damage than any strength it is adding. The bracket that 79Ramada made looks great but even if you just used flat plate that came down to about to where the bottom of the angle iron is you should be fine.
 If you would like I'll get under mine tomorrow and take some pictures for you.
   I would really appreciate that Cecil. BY the way do you remember where you bought the stairs?
GREG

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »
I bought the steps on ebay, even with the shipping they were cheaper than anything local. They were Elkhart's. I'll see if I can find the sellers name for you.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »
Now you've got me thinking of installing it SOA... well, at least the stuff isn't here yet...

A question that did come to mind was: do you all (y'all) find that the stabilizers are still plenty long enough with the axle swap, or do I need to consider swapping out those components as well?   :o
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:14:33 AM »
They weren't long enough for mine, I put on 24" scissor jacks and sometimes I have to add additional blocking.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
They weren't long enough for mine, I put on 24" scissor jacks and sometimes I have to add additional blocking.
Good to know.
I've been watching this thread closely, weighing the pros and cons of a standard vs SOA installation on this '76 Ramada. I don't want the trailer drag nor want to risk the rear gearbox assembly - but I'm not too keen on a higher stepdown, replacing even more parts, nor the trailer being "squirrely" as some have suggested.
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
  ( 79Ramada) do you remember what gage metal you worked with when you made the frame supports.

I bought 11ga Hot rolled Steel sheet, from metalsdepot.com, part# S111, size 1x2 ft, need one per each side.
Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

I bought 11ga Hot rolled Steel sheet, from metalsdepot.com, part# S111, size 1x2 ft, need one per each side.
    Fu,  Was one piece enough to do both sides or did you have to buy two?
          Also, what did you cut the steel with?
          One more question, The design of the metal having an angle bend over along the bottom and following the curve around also. Was that mainly for extra strength??

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:07:57 AM by Redwood »
GREG

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »
I bought two pieces, one for each side with plenty of metal left over in case I screw up on my welding. I used a metal blade on my handheld electric jig saw. If someone has a band saw with metal blade, it would be quicker. As for my design, the 90 degree bend along the edge on the sheet metal is always stiffer than just a flat sheet. Also to maintain the shape of the C-Channel on the frame. Having a second look at your picture, like others mentioned, it is not the prettiest but looks like plenty of strength. PO did added a metal patch on top of the angle iron. The angle iron itself is long enough and maintain that 90 degrees edge, although it is not continuous, but should be fine. You may even be able to remove that bottom bracket and still have plenty of bracing. Looks like the bottom bracket is doing more harm than good, got bent probably hitting speed bumps. If you are to remove the bottom bracket, I would recommend installing two more nuts and bolts where the two X marks are to spread the loads on that angle iron.

Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »
    I think you're right. I'll remove that bottom piece and just add a couple bolts where you marked. With the welded patch above the angle iron it should be plenty strong.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:19:31 AM by Redwood »
GREG

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal