Author Topic: Another issue of braking - adding new brakes  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Desert Satanna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
Another issue of braking - adding new brakes
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
So I'm prepping a 1976 Mesa to trade (potentially) with another Apache owner, but one of the main criteria for this trade is that the trailer be equipped with brakes.

I discovered the other day, while servicing the bearings, that this trailer has no brakes.
I'm guessing ( :'( )that there is no solution, other than a replacement of axle and brakes?

If anyone has successfly installed brakes on their Mesa (where there were none before), I'd certainly like to hear about it.

I'd really hate it if this deal died because of this issue. But, the other person is towing with a Subaru, which recommends not towing anything over 1000# without brakes (and a 2000# max).

Help me, Apache Super Friends, help!

PS - I did note on another post (Electric Brakes - attempting to restore) that I have the same spindle setup, and there are backing plates installed on my Mesa axle to bolt on an electric brake assembly. So maybe there is someone out there (who perhaps changed axles, etc.) that has a pair of brakes and drums available? I'm not necessarily keen on using older brakes, but costs are becoming an issue...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:05:42 PM by Desert Satanna »
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline RHS

• Wolf
  • Level before you lift!
  • State: MO
  • Type of Camper: 74 Mesa
Re: Another issue of braking - adding new brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:54:33 PM »
Not sure but I have been told that electric brakes can be added, I would say call a company that deals in small trailers and just ask them.  I was at first concerned about brakes as my Mesa does not have them (74).  The previous owner said he went all over CO with the trailer and a small suv (Jeep/Explorer type) and had no issues.
Wish I could help you more, but I am sure someone will share their experience.

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:42:55 AM »
The problem lies in finding a brake kit that fits the Fayette axle. I've not been able to locate one with the right bearing sizes (1-1/16" and 3/4") or the right depth to work properly.

I tried a brake kit I picked up for another project, and the brake plate mounts perfectly - the drum, on the other hand, will not go on far enough, leaving me to suspect the hub is a different depth than what I need.

Offline FitzFolly

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Hi Santana,
I have a set of brakes(L & R) that I took off of a 71 Ramada that have the backing plate, shoes and a working magnet. I also have a single of the same from a 78 Ramada(still attached to a stub of the axle with a welded on spindle nut) and one more setup from another year.
Would any of that help you?
Take care,
Fitz

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »
Hi Santana,
I have a set of brakes(L & R) that I took off of a 71 Ramada that have the backing plate, shoes and a working magnet. I also have a single of the same from a 78 Ramada(still attached to a stub of the axle with a welded on spindle nut) and one more setup from another year.
Would any of that help you?
Take care,
Fitz
That's a good question!
I don't know if the '71 setup is any different. I imagine the '78 would be very close if not identical, and the other (you didn't mention year) might also work - but are they from different sides or the same side? I would think they would be different.

I guess the best way any of us could tell is by part numbers (if you can find any). Let me know what you can find, and perhaps someone else here can help clarify what might/might not work.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Offline jkmacboy

• Raccoon
  • The Royal Sunflower -----@
  • State: NY
  • Type of Camper: 76 Apache Royal
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
I'm just going to chime in on the subaru angle. What subie are they towing with? most have a tow capacity of 2000lbs. and mine handles a royal with no problems. from my understanding mesas never came with electric brakes so it may be hard to reconfigure the axel.

- jerry
I live in Brooklyn NY. My "76" Apache Royal lives in Lakeville CT, we miss each other :-)

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
I'm just going to chime in on the subaru angle. What subie are they towing with? most have a tow capacity of 2000lbs. and mine handles a royal with no problems. from my understanding mesas never came with electric brakes so it may be hard to reconfigure the axel.

- jerry
I don't recall the exact model, except that the sedan version couldn't tow at all, while the wagon (hatchback) version had the 2000# limit. He has towed a Royal with it before, so I would think he could handle the Mesa without issue. But, the manufacturer recommendations call for brakes for anything over 1000#.
As for reconfiguration, the axle I have does have the backing plates installed to mount the brakes to, so I would venture to guess that, although they weren't installed, they are the same axles used on the Royal, etc., which should have brakes. So, it's a matter of finding a set...

Offline FortApache

• Elk
  • '73 Mesa '73 Ramada
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 1973 Ramada
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:13:59 AM »
well, my 73 mesa has stock electric brakes,, they dont work but they are there.  Factory

It also has heater, 3 way fridge, so my guess was that this was a maxed out mesa purchase in '72-73
1973 Apache Mesa -Sold
1973 Ramada

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Raccoon
  • State: WA
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Apache Ramada
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:11:13 PM »
A brand new 2000# axle with modern brakes might not be as expensive as you think.  I can't think of a better upgrade to spend a few dollars on.  Maybe you could split the cost of the axle upgrade?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:13:43 PM by McNeill_PNW »

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
A brand new 2000# axle with modern brakes might not be as expensive as you think.  I can't think of a better upgrade to spend a few dollars on.  Maybe you could split the cost of the axle upgrade?
It probably isn't that bad - but the last time I tried to a "piecemeal" upgrade (based on another posting on this site), I ended up investing about $500, and all I have to show for it now is an axle assembly and brakes I cannot use.
The other issue is one of time. I'm trying to get this trailer assembled by early April, and the places I have checked for axle assemblies (Dexter retailers) have lead times of 2-4 weeks.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal