Author Topic: Price to do bearings?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline red rover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Raccoon
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: 1975 Ramada
Price to do bearings?
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
I was quoted by a place to do the bearing on our 75 Ramada for $205.  How's that sound to ya'll?

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
Re: Price to do bearings?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Are you talking about replacement, or simply repacking?

Other than being a bit messy, repacking bearings is a fairly simple job. You can obtain a bearing grease packer from Harbor Freight for about $20 (optional), and the grease will cost you less than $10. You should be able to do each side in less than an hour if you are a novice - much faster if you've done it before. There are all kinds of videos on YouTube that can get you through it.

If replacement is the path taken, each bearing can cost you about $10-$15 (on the high side).

It all comes down to your comfort level. If you have the tools and are willing to give it a shot, you could do the job for much less. If not, then it boils down to who you can find to do the job and what they want for it...
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Offline RHS

• Wolf
  • Level before you lift!
  • State: MO
  • Type of Camper: 74 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
Another option since the bearings are not that much is simply to replace them and repack them.  Then clean the old ones off and keep them for spares. Having a bearing go out in the middle of nowhere is a pain.  Grease is readily available, bearings are not.  If you have not done it, it might be good to do it once just for the experience.
Safety first and remember to block it up when working on it (like with wooden blocks).
I agree there is tons of info on the Internet.

Good luck,

Randy

Offline Chucknbob

• Squirrel
  • State: OH
  • Type of Camper: 73 Mesa
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:56:59 PM »
The price sounds fair for a shop to replace/pack if you don't have the time or ability. That being said, it really is easy if you want to tackle it yourself.

Where are you located at? Several of us on the forum would probably be happy to help you out if you want to do it.

Offline homer

• Apache Master
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: Ranger 1977(sold); now a Toyota mini-motorhome SLE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »
RED ROVER:  I found out after buying from the auto-parts store that Northern Tool has the bearings, races and grease seals  for half the price as the auto-parts! If you have Northern Tool in area....check them out.
Last year my right hub got hot after 200 mi. down the road. I stopped a few times and poured ice water on it and let it cool before starting back up again. So this year I am prepared to try it again with new Bearings and Races and grease Seal. Since the left (driver side) never even got warm, I pulled it anyway and all looked good. The price for one set was $34.00+ at the local auto parts, so I just got one. I don't do online ordering or e-bay etc , so it is local business. I'm sure there are cheaper prices out there. Thanks  to vibsftwr for the #'s above, they fit perfectly on my Ranger. I will keep the old ones for spares in case I get broke down somewhere on side of highway. Hopefully it will never happen. Below are the #'s that worked and prices in case someone else needs them.
bearing-LM11949= $7.49
race-     LM11910= $3.99
bearing- L44649=   $9.49
race-     L44610=    $3.99
whl seal   1126 =     $7.59
                 tax  =    $2.28
total ----------   $34.83
'homer'
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:37:05 AM by homer »
Retired and Loving it. WE go Primitive camping, makes you appreciate home more.

to photos:
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=aevaitems;u=119

Offline red rover

• Raccoon
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: 1975 Ramada
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:35:25 AM »
I appreciate the thoughts on the bearings.  I've watched some videos and I would like to do it, and I will do it sometime, but time for me right now is at a premium with the young kids and I saw what the brakes looked like when we got the new tires on. I'm just concerned I'll have other issues when I go in.  It sounds like I could do it for less than half the price with the tools and other stuff, grease, cleaner, etc.  I'll keep you guys updated on which route I go.  By the way does anybody have a picture of their trailer or another vehicle up on blocks because I also want to work on the frame underneath and without a lift I'd like more height and safety?

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal