Author Topic: 1969 Apache Chief - need wheel bearing parts info  (Read 2649 times)

Offline MagicBus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Greenhorn Camper
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: 1969 Apache Chief
1969 Apache Chief - need wheel bearing parts info
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
Hello, all

I recently acquired a 1969 Chief that's been in storage since 1989. It's clean and in good shape, overall. I towed it home last week, and am planning on taking it on a road trip in just under two weeks. I've gone over all the little stuff and have just one concern at this point - the wheel bearings.

When I put new tires on it just prior to the tow, the wheels still spun nicely, so I towed it home on the old grease/bearings. I want to clean and regrease them. But, in case I need to replace parts, I want to have them handy ASAP.

Bare minimum, I'll need new seals, even if I just inspect/clean/repack the bearings. I doubt I'll need them, but I want to have new inner and outer bearings, too.

If anyone knows, what exactly do I need, and where do I get the parts (preferably as soon as possible)?

Thanks in advance

Offline SHI-Warlock

• Deer
  • State: KS-Kansas
  • Type of Camper: 63 Raven
Re: 1969 Apache Chief - need wheel bearing parts info
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
I got everything I needed, inner, outer, seals and caps from my local NAPA.  They had them all in stock. I don't remember the part #'s, but I just took the old ones in and them matched them up.  This was for a 63 Raven.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply. NAPA would certainly be convenient enough for me. I have several in the area. Was this recently?

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »
Bring 1-each bearing (inner and outer) race (inner and outer) and seal into Motion Industries. or at least the numbers off the old ones  Seals are hard if not impossible to get a number off of.
there you will get choices between ultra cheap import (crap) and high end in the same number.
Is there anything wrong with the current bearings?
CLEAN them well in a pan of solvent and inspect them for pits flat spots on the rollers and such. Also spin them once clean before repacking to see if there is any rough spots/ If NOT then re use them!  the only thing that I would not reuse would be the seals.
It would certainly be a good idea to have a complete set of bearings races and seals as spares for on the road. so if it turns out that you have to replace them once apart, I'd buy double of everything

Offline Terry

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what is on your mind. 8)
    • http://www.hosttec.com
  • State: Florida
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer, 74 Mesa, 77 Mesa
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
Also, once you do get new bearings, please record the numbers here this thread for those that might need it in the future.
Thanks
Lost....But making good time.
http://www.hosttec.net

Offline SHI-Warlock

• Deer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
Seal # 11407, cap # 730-2410.  On my 63 Raven.  I don't have the bearing #'s any more.  Sorry.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Bring 1-each bearing (inner and outer) race (inner and outer) and seal into Motion Industries. or at least the numbers off the old ones  Seals are hard if not impossible to get a number off of.
there you will get choices between ultra cheap import (crap) and high end in the same number.
Is there anything wrong with the current bearings?
CLEAN them well in a pan of solvent and inspect them for pits flat spots on the rollers and such. Also spin them once clean before repacking to see if there is any rough spots/ If NOT then re use them!  the only thing that I would not reuse would be the seals.
It would certainly be a good idea to have a complete set of bearings races and seals as spares for on the road. so if it turns out that you have to replace them once apart, I'd buy double of everything

I've never heard of Motion Industries. Had to Google it. Apparently, one of the two locations in Massachusetts is two miles from my office. I can try there and NAPA.

I don't know of any problems with the current bearings, but I haven't disassembled them yet. The Chief was sitting under a tarp in a barn from 1989 until last week, when I towed it out of there. The wheels still spun freely. I just want to do due diligence and bare minimum, repack them before my road trip. The grease could be Reagan era.

However, if I take bearings with me, I want to take the races, too. I don't trust myself not to damage them taking them out. I did front wheel bearings on a Volkswagen Vanagon a few weeks back, which has a similar wheel bearing setup.

To sum it up, I'll definitely need seals, but I want to get the bearings, too, just in case. If nothing else, I'll have spares.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »
Also, once you do get new bearings, please record the numbers here this thread for those that might need it in the future.
Thanks

Absolutely will do.  :)

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Seal # 11407, cap # 730-2410.  On my 63 Raven.  I don't have the bearing #'s any more.  Sorry.

Thanks. Any idea if those would be the same on a '69 Chief?

Offline SHI-Warlock

• Deer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
Sorry, no clue.  I only have experience with the Raven and Mesa models.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
I'll still file it under "good to know". Thanks.  :)

Offline Flyingscot64

• Grizzly
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
Check O riley auto parts if you have one , The guy actually looked up my boat trailer 64 tee nee and found a complete break down of the parts , I was planning on buying the complete wheel bearing set when I only needed the seal ,and he had the seals in stock.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Check O riley auto parts if you have one , The guy actually looked up my boat trailer 64 tee nee and found a complete break down of the parts , I was planning on buying the complete wheel bearing set when I only needed the seal ,and he had the seals in stock.

That's one place I DON'T have locally. Anywho, I stopped in at NAPA on the way in to the office this morning. The clerk told me he could match it up if I brought the old one in. Looks like I'll be doing that in the near future.

Offline MagicBus

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
I just took it all apart (well, one side, that is - took 1/2 hour to get it apart and cleaned. Easy) and the inner and outer bearings match - part number L44643 - one was Timken, one was Bower. Both look to be in fine shape after cleaning.

I was too busy to do it earlier in the week.

Having trouble getting the races to budge from the hub, but given how good they look, I may concede defeat and leave them in place for now. Even the grease, after 25 years, looked new and fresh. Looks like they were serviced shortly before the trailer was taken out of service. Only the seals looked a little beat up. Will try to source at least the seals locally tomorrow. Still trying to determine a part number for those.

The grease caps look fine and reusable.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal