Archived Renovations / Improvements > Miscellaneous

changing wall latches

(1/2) > >>

lnikolas:
hello all! I was wondering if anyone has found a good alternative to the plastic wall latches? I have gone through a few of them and am fed up with them breaking, and having to pay shipping over and over again. We were thinking we might try and find some cabnitrey pulls to try and customize (cut and half, smooth out and mount them the way you would a plastic one) but i wanted to know if anyone has an easier way? Also! there are those metal clip looking things at the top of the walls? what are those for? are they supposed to clip onto something? Our walls don't seem to fall flush with the road cover in the middle (it like curves in slightly) and I was wondering if i was missing something about those clips or needed a replacement part? there is only one in the middle top of the wall on both walls, adn nothing on the road cover.

gundoger:
  The only plastic latches I can think of on the hardsides are the ones for the telescoping lift post covers. If those are the ones you are talking about are you sure you are getting the right ones for where they go. There are two different sizes, 53-00-092 goes on the sidewalls and 53-00-083 goes on the bed end wing wall. The numbers come from http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/.
  The metal clips on the walls are used to help in the set up, they clip into the underside of the road cover to line up the sidewall into the outer most "groove" of the aluminum extrusion on the bottom of the road cover when you lower the road cover onto the sidewalls.

79Ramada:
This clip is on top of 1979 Ramada wall. First, roof is raised beyond the wall, so the clip can hold the wall in place, then the roof is lowered to rest on top of the wall. There are also two metal clips at end of side walls. Those metal clips slip into the telescoping extrusion. They don't work too well and often got bent. I just use 4 spring clamps from hardware store to hold the end wall up, and the center clip in the picture hold the center of the wall up while setting up. Spring clamps also come in handy around camp as laundry or garage bag clip etc..

Redwood:
Inikolas,
 Since you have a 73 apache you won't have the clips that slide into the telescoping extrusions they showed up in the later years.

But you will have the wall clips and 79 Ramada explained how they work just perfect. To hold the sidewalls in place as you lower the road cover onto the side walls.  ;)

lnikolas:
thanks everyone! Yes, i'm pretty sure i got the wrong size of wall latch, , funny thing is, the ppl we got it from had the wrong size as well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version