Author Topic: Scissor jack vs. tire leveler?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline theleighs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Chipmunk
  • State: GA
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Apache Ranger
Scissor jack vs. tire leveler?
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »
Hi everyone!

Mrs.theleighs here....

We are trying to figure out the best way to level our '78 Ranger and were hoping to get some advice from those of you who have more experience than we do.

From the forums, we've gathered NOT to use the stabilizers to level (very important lesson -- thank you!).

We've also seen people posting about how they have used either scissor jacks (we are looking at the BAL LoPro SJ24) or tire levelers (BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler) to get the camper level side-to-side. Does anyone have a sense of if it's better/easier to use the scissor jack or tire leveler?

I'm including some links here to the options we are considering in case anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Scissor jack: http://www.amazon.com/BAL-24002D-Deluxe-Leveling-Scissor/dp/B000GASYCA

Tire leveler: http://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Products-Group-28050/dp/B000BH5MAA/ref=lp_2582855011_1_7?srs=2582855011&ie=UTF8&qid=1454360195&sr=8-7

Thanks for any advice!

Beth Leigh

Offline goldman22

• Wolf
  • State: Calif
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Mesa
Re: Scissor jack vs. tire leveler?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »
Bal Leveler for sure. Simple to use and helps to keep trailer stable.
Jerry
Enjoy gold mining but not getting rich. (yet)
1976 Mesa (looks like a hot-dog stand with the awning set up.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
  • State: WV
  • Type of Camper: '73 Ramada '75 Ramada '76 Ramada '77 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
Second that. 

Is a little more cumbersome to carry, but will fit in the 76's rear access door.  It may be a little harder to lift the camper with than a scissor jack, but not too bad, (per instructions, add a little grease to the screw plate), and it came with a padded ratcheting wrench to turn the screw with.

And as above, is a lot more stable than a bottle or scissor jack.

I did have the screw threads on the jack strip out (was still able to lift the camper, just turned hard), but was quickly sent a free replacement screw, and works great now.   

A picture of mine leveling out the '73.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
  The Bal leveler is a great tool to level side to side.
  You should never level with any type of jacks. These are for stabilizing the trailer only.
 Most important is you don't level by raising the frame or body of the trailer. Doing this will twist and bend the trailer out of shape. Then the walls and bed ends will not fit together properly.
  You level side to side by raising the wheel on the low side of the trailer. Also to level front to back use your tongue jack.
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline theleighs

• Chipmunk
  • State: GA
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Apache Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »
Wonderful! Thank you all so much for the advice! Tire leveler it is.

Offline camper78

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »
The Bal Leveler is the best and easiest way and fastest way to level your rig. I have one and diffidently won,t leave home with out it.  ;) 
78 APACHE ROYAL and a 78 RAMADA. 76 RAMADA
May the Apache force be with you.

Offline Wild-Surfwood

• Moose
  • State: Rhode Island
  • Type of Camper: 78 Ranger 74 Royal
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
  An answer to that question could also be....both. In my case, the stabilizers are original and I have to wrestle with them every time I set up. Getting them to fold out is a chore, especially when the ground is wet. Then the springs are shot on a couple of them. I don't feel they are very dependable. So, I'm skipping that restoration project. I then use a 2x8 and multiple pieces of ply to level under tires. I would love to just pull up to a site, level left to right(bal-level), front to back(tongue), and drop the scissors for stability.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
  • State: WV
  • Type of Camper: '73 Ramada '75 Ramada '76 Ramada '77 Mesa
Scissor jack vs. tire leveler?
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
I was debating that when replacing the stabilizers on the '73.  I went back with the leg stabilizers from etrailer, just to keep it looking original, but a cheap cordless drill and scissor jacks (ones like a wrench or tire iron will fit on, that have a nut to turn them) on all the corners may have been the better choice for convenience. 

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Offline homer

• Apache Master
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: Ranger 1977(sold); now a Toyota mini-motorhome SLE
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:26:58 PM »
I went to HARBOR FREIGHT and purchased their cheapest scissor jacks they had on sale, I think around $20 plus dollars each.  Attached a bolt and plate to the bottom of camper and I just slide the plate into the already bracket and raise and lower it Then slide it off when fixing to leave so I won't lose them. Can't remember how to put attachments  in the reply's. When I figure it out I will post them. The Bal-leveler would possibly be simpler to use and take up less space
'homer'
Retired and Loving it. WE go Primitive camping, makes you appreciate home more.

to photos:
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=aevaitems;u=119

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »
 I have both and it makes set up and take down much easier, especially for one person. I used the existing bracket on the rear to mount the scissor jacks. I had to weld on some heavy C channel onto the frame in the front so I could have a wider footprint and make it more stable than the stock mounting location. To me it was worth it. I also have to remember to bring the cordless drill so I don't have to use the hand crank which is no fun.
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Offline nt40lanman

• Chipmunk
  • State: Ma
  • Type of Camper: Apache Raven
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal