Author Topic: differences in axles?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline count me in

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: IL
  • Type of Camper: 78 ramada
differences in axles?
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:29 PM »
I have a 76 Mesa and a 78 Ramada, just parted out a 79 Ramada II and picked up another axle from a member here, the other side of Chicago..... bad drive up there, alot better coming back (nother story) that axle came from a 76 Ramada....
The 76 Mesa is 4 lug, no brakes (I don't think it really needs em, as light as that camper is)
The axle from the 76 Ramada is 4 lug, with brakes, sticker on it saying 2200 lb capacity.
The 78 Ramada and the axle that came from the 79, are 5 lug with brakes.
IDK capacity rating of any other axle mentioned in this thread, yet. may discover that as I swap a couple around. (unless you guys know the answer)

Would the 2, 76 axles be the same capacity/ even though one has brakes and 1 does not?
Would the 5 lug axles have a different capacity vs a 4 lug axle?
Would the 5 lug hubs and 4 lug hubs interchange among axles?
and, would it be worth swapping the 4 lug axle with brakes onto the Mesa?

(I don't plan to hook them up, for reason stated above)

BUT since the Mesa will very soon be for sale, I'm thinking of swapping them as a "sales feature" for the Mesa's next owner/ who ever that might be.....if they want brakes at least there will be brakes there for them to connect, if they should wish to.
 it's been 3 years since I repacked the current axle's bearings so it's probably due for that anyways....  it don't take long to remove 4 U bolts and replace them again, especially if "remove" has to involve a blue wrench (torch) to get the nuts off..... ha ha

I want to keep the 5 lug axle from the parted out unit as a spare, in case I wind up tearing up a hub somewhere along the line on the Ramada, since they can't be had new any more for the Fayette axles.

Offline itsathepete

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: ky
  • Type of Camper: ramada
Re: differences in axles?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
I'm no expert but if the axle tube and spindles are the same size, I would assume they have the same capacity.  Look for stickers and/or metal tags on the axle. My 77 ramada has both and the sticker says 2200lb excluding wheels, hubs, and springs.  I would test/examine all the brake hardware and keep the best pieces. The mesa is so light,brakes are not necessary, but if the axle has brake flanges, they can be added.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »
The 70s, especially early 70 axles do vary.  A 73 axle may have been recalled.  Look for a silver tag on the axle itself for info.  This is the tag law enforcement uses to help ID trailers and trucks used in bombings.  My 74 Royal and above uses a 3500 lbs axle,  I do not know about the lighter Mesa and smaller trailers.  Later there was a change in the spindles from tappered with 3/4 and 1 1/16" bearings to both bearings 1 1/16" later.  The 70, 71, 72 I don't know, but the 73 axle for some models were recalled and the heavier 3500 lbs axle replaced it.  Around 75 there was a switch from 4 to 5 bolt drums. and rims.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
The 70s, especially early 70 axles do vary.  A 73 axle may have been recalled.  Look for a silver tag on the axle itself for info.  This is the tag law enforcement uses to help ID trailers and trucks used in bombings.  My 74 Royal and above uses a 3500 lbs axle,  I do not know about the lighter Mesa and smaller trailers.  Later there was a change in the spindles from tappered with 3/4 and 1 1/16" bearings to both bearings 1 1/16" later.  The 70, 71, 72 I don't know, but the 73 axle for some models were recalled and the heavier 3500 lbs axle replaced it.  Around 75 there was a switch from 4 to 5 bolt drums. and rims.
the oldest of anything that I have here, is '76. Both the mesa and the "spare" axle that I have, which came from a Ramada (also a '76) are 4 lug. The spare axle does have a tag saying it is rated for 2200#.  I dont remember seeing such a tag, when I was last under the Mesa.
my Ramada is a 78 and 5 lug/ and the spare 5 lug axle came from a '79.

I used to think that 4 lug/5 lug depended on which model camper you had, Mesa/Yuma having 4 lug (all years) 
and Ramada (along with others on the 12' box) were 5 lug.
I originally started with a '76 Royal (10' box, did not have long enough to really remember whether it was 4 or 5)

Offline Beakster

• Squirrel
  • State: Alberta
  • Type of Camper: 75 Royal
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:04:15 AM »
Both my Royals are 4 bolt .. I need to flip my axle to put the trailer at the same towing height as my 4x4 truck .. I Was thinking of putting 5 bolt hubs or maybe bigger rims/tires .. don't know ..

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
I believe all axels are at least 2200 pounds for solid state campers. The canvas campers have much lighter ratings. Not sure if you can swap the hubs between those years I guess it depends on the spindle. Please keep us up to date on if it can be done. I have a four bolt Mesa with surge brakes. Yes mine is light but with a three way stove and a furnace plus two big propane cans and a battery on the tongue I wanted the extra peace of mind! It stops on a dime now and you can't feel it on the tow vehicle. I figured if those darn U-Hauls have the surge brakes on those little covered trailers why couldn't I have them on my Mesa so I ordered a Dexter axel with more modern surge brakes with flipped springs and I love how it handles! 8)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:08:58 PM »
if I do anything on the Mesa I will swap the whole axle from the 76 Ramada with the brakes onto it onto the Mesa, plans are to pull the hubs and check things out and then go from there.

As I remember, when I repacked the bearings on the current axle/hubs that is under the Mesa, the flanges for the brake backing plates were there. The hubs are different though because it appears that the drum and hub on the brake axle are one piece so I can't just put the drums onto the non brake hubs. 

I am afraid to say on here what is planned for the old 79 Ramada frame, some might not like it.... that is why I am putting the parts onto it that I "least" care about. and if I swap to the "with brakes" 4 lug axle on teh Mesa it will be to be able to put the only axle I have among the bunch, that does not have brakes under that frame...

The axle currently on that frame is a 5 lug "with brakes" axle, something probably pretty important to have as a spare for the 78 Ramada which already has a 5 lug "with brakes" axle, I'd bet that I couldnt find a replacement hub for that axle if I were to say, spin a bearing or something unfortunate like that.....

Offline count me in

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »
just picked up another 76 Mesa--- probable parts unit.... no title like the 79 Ramada II and so far not very good shape either.....
now this throws a monkey wrench into things..... I discovered this unit last weekend on a Craigslist wild goose chase for tractor parts... went back today and knocked on the guys door/ about an hour away.
this Mesa is definitely a 76 just like my current 76 Mesa.... but this unit has 5 lug wheels and "surge brakes",,,,, weird.  I took a couple of mounted spares with me that I know hold air/ I took 4 lug wheels out there because my Mesa has them. the 5 lug thing was a surprise.
luckily one tire held air and the spare was fully aired up. 

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
Wow I am not sure why a 76 Mesa would have a 5 lug? I have one of the 76 Mesa with a 3 way fridge and also the Furnace accessories and it only has the 4 lug with surge breaks. I could have changed to 5 lug when I got the new Dexter spring over axel on my Mesa but I wanted to use the same size wheels. The 4 lug axel was rated for the trailer weight so not sure why the change for the same year Mesa?
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:08:41 PM »
5 Lugs means its a later model axle as required by the government.  This is also true for cars.

5 lugs means you could lose 1 lug and still run fine if the rest are tight.

A rule of thumb if its not broken, don't fix it.

What you should be checking, on the axle should be a silver tag wrapped around the shaft.  This is the axle serial number and its rating which limits you trailer load.

My 74 Royal has the 3,500 lbs axle, but the max load is 2,000 per the manual.  A Mesa is around 200 lbs lighter.

Other differences are bearings.  My 74 royal uses 1 1/16" inter bearing, but a 3/4" outer bearing.  Later models used both 1/16" inter and outer bearings

A big issue, there are right and left lug bolts marked R and L.  All of us get caught on the drivers side turning the lug bolt the wrong way to remove.

Fayette which manufactured the axles was bought by GM which shut down the factory following a bad strike.  I relined my brake pads in Canada, but many parts are not available today and this is why replacing an axle would make sense for the cost to benefit issue.  If I lose a electric brake coil, I would use a dexter part and modify the coil mounting to fit.  I lose a drum, I would have a foundry cast a new one and a machine shop bring the new drum into specs on the drum itself.  I replace the grease seal and bearings which are still available.  We have some options.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal