Archived Renovations / Improvements > 30 Amp Service

WFCO power converters?

(1/1)

count me in:
the thread below this one in the topic heading,  is about the used converter I initially bought for my Ramada via CL.. wow... big and bulky. not sure I am going to use it (have not even tried it to verify whether it works) 
been doing some electrical work on my unit the last couple days, added in a brand new 3 way fridge, and added an exhaust fan, (takes <1A to run, yes I know that is minimal) last year I put in a brand new furnace, and future plans are for a car stereo, and an AC.  but with only 15A available thru the converter and 6A on the DC side with the existing converter,  plus that there is basically only 1 circuit each for Ac and for DC, I don't like that idea. 
I have been looking around, and seems the only game in town for a new unit these days is WFCO. Never heard of this outfit til semi recently.  Are they OK? anyone have any feedback on these units? IS it better to stay with an old("er") unit??? When I upgraded the Mesa I found one out of a late 80s slide in truck camper, 30A and at least it had 2 breakers for separate AC circuits....  unlike the original.... this Ramada has an identical converter to what the Mesa originally had.

Who here has heard of and/or used a WFCO converter? Any pitfalls?  seem like a decent unit?

windetch:
I put one in my Roamer two years ago, it's been fine. 
Got the 45amp version, "WFCO WF8945PEC"
Reasonably easy setup, looks nice; my only mild complaint is that the cover is a push-latch and easy to accidentally bump open. 

Thought I had a pic of the inside but can't find it offhand. 
I haven't really stressed it, all my lights are LED and it's got a small two-speaker car radio. 
Haven't tested the battery functions either, as so far I've just camped with hookups. 
AC, Fridge, hot water heater, outlets, and the 12v converter all have their own 120v circuit breakers; overkill for the camper, esp since the main breaker is a 30a, but hey.  It works. 

naturelover:
I?ve been through three of the 30 amp ones (not because of a fault of the converters), and all have worked well. 

Can see my installation in my 76 Ramada restoration thread, and should have a picture of the inside of it too.

I did have that push latch mentioned above break on me once, think was too cold for it, but they quickly sent me out another one to replace it.

count me in:
are there ANY of these power converters, that are NOT made in China?   I'd much rather NOT have made-in-China "anything" if at all possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version