Author Topic: LIVING HINGE REPLACEMENT - A "HOW-TO" FOR BROKEN H  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Maineboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Chipmunk
Hi Wannabe
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
Sure, I'd love to see the pics.  Email them to maineboy67@msn.com.  By any chance, has this mishap happened to you?  I feel like a fool.

Thanks!
Steve
1973 Apache Mesa, aka my "retirement home"!

DDLTexan

Re: Hi Wannabe
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2004, 06:06:48 AM »
Quote from: "Maineboy"
Sure, I'd love to see the pics.  Email them to maineboy67@msn.com.  By any chance, has this mishap happened to you?  I feel like a fool.

Thanks!
Steve

Fireman Pete switched internet service providers and thus the How To link is no longer valid.  We are hoping he has it back up soon on his new provider.

Pete let us know the new link when it is ready.

Offline FiremanPete

• Apache Master
LIVING HINGE REPLACEMENT - A "HOW-TO" FOR BROKEN H
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 08:02:40 AM »
Okay...I'm attempting to put the whole thing back up today....

and YES, the same thing happened to me....I was actually getting ready to repair my bed end living hinge and a gust of wind blew the folded roof section away from me and it broke off clean....luckily for me the ABS didn't break....it just landed flat on the driveway....

I was able to repair the living hinge by putting the new living hinge on the bed end first (sliding it into the groove, then having a friend help me slide the whole bed end onto the top channel of the living hinge from the side until it was in place.  Whew!

New pics should be up soon!

Pete
Pete         '67
Katie        '69
Samantha '95
Shaun       '96
Shannon   '98

Ramada    '78

DDLTexan

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 09:02:26 AM »
Quote from: "FiremanPete"
Okay...I'm attempting to put the whole thing back up today....

and YES, the same thing happened to me....I was actually getting ready to repair my bed end living hinge and a gust of wind blew the folded roof section away from me and it broke off clean....luckily for me the ABS didn't break....it just landed flat on the driveway....

I was able to repair the living hinge by putting the new living hinge on the bed end first (sliding it into the groove, then having a friend help me slide the whole bed end onto the top channel of the living hinge from the side until it was in place.  Whew!

New pics should be up soon!

Pete

Whew that is very lucky.

I am glad it did not break.  That would be heartbreakingly bad.  

Yes, for anyone working on Living Hinges, Please make sure it is a still and windless day.  The wind can use it as a sail if you are not careful.  Also having a friend to assist is invaluable.

Offline Maineboy

• Chipmunk
Thank you all
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 01:30:16 PM »
I ordered living hinge material, and I'm awaiting its arrival.  I appreciate the help and support with this project.  I know that a small corner of the ABS broke off, and I have the broken piece.  I'll have to get the MEK and some ABS somewhere to make the "goo."  And I'll definitely get the assistance of a friend when it comes time to replacing the hinge.

If I think of it, I'll take some photos to document the repair.  Thanks again.
Steve

Offline FiremanPete

• Apache Master
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 06:22:10 AM »
Okay, I'll be creating a new thread for Alan to post in this forum....I uploaded all my old pics to my Apache gallery site...I'll have to rewrite the whole living hinge replacement thread and then link to the pics individually...I'll work on it today at my part time job, and continually edit and save....hopefully it'll get done!
Pete         '67
Katie        '69
Samantha '95
Shaun       '96
Shannon   '98

Ramada    '78

Offline FiremanPete

• Apache Master
Re: Thank you all
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 09:21:36 AM »
I ordered living hinge material, and I'm awaiting its arrival.  I appreciate the help and support with this project.  I know that a small corner of the ABS broke off, and I have the broken piece.  I'll have to get the MEK and some ABS somewhere to make the "goo."  And I'll definitely get the assistance of a friend when it comes time to replacing the hinge.

Steve

Maineboy, you can get the ABS material here (and lots of other good stuff, too......Tim has it all!):

http://imagingperspectives.freehosting.net/sales.htm
Pete         '67
Katie        '69
Samantha '95
Shaun       '96
Shannon   '98

Ramada    '78

Offline Maineboy

• Chipmunk
Re: Thank you all
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 01:08:38 PM »
Quote from: "FiremanPete"

Steve

Maineboy, you can get the ABS material here (and lots of other good stuff, too......Tim has it all!):

http://imagingperspectives.freehosting.net/sales.htm

Thank you for the link.  Every little bit helps me to feel less like a complete fool for causing the bed end to fall out.  I hope to make the repairs in a few weeks.  I'll order the ABS pellets and MEK this weekend.  One question...is the MEK available locally, i.e. at Home Depot or Lowe's?  I think I'll check tonight.

Offline FiremanPete

• Apache Master
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 04:03:20 PM »
More than likely, yes....I found some at a local hardware store, but many automotive parts places carry MEK with their auto body chemicals.
Pete         '67
Katie        '69
Samantha '95
Shaun       '96
Shannon   '98

Ramada    '78

DDLTexan

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 08:41:48 PM »
Yes, I bought a quart can of MEK from my local HomeDepot.

Offline waya

• Soggy Tenter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 01:45:11 PM »
Hi Peter, I also need to replace the living hinges on my Ranger. I tried to go to your web site and it is not there...RATS!
The job of replacing the ends does not look simple to me!
Help!

Bryan
978 Ranger
12 ft Porta Bote
6HP 4 stroke
2000 Xterria
3 dogs

Offline FitzFolly

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 01:32:30 AM »
You just need to go to the next sticky posting in the Living Hinges/Bed End Caps forum. All the pictures and text are there. It's very good information :)
Fitz

Offline Maineboy

• Chipmunk
Living hinge replaced!
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
Thanks to the input of many people on this website, I replaced the living hinge in both bed ends of my '73 Mesa.  Not surprising, the first section took a few hours, lots of sweat and some choice language between my helper/friend and myself.  Later, I replaced the opposite bed end hinge, and I replaced it on my own in a manner of 15 minutes...much easier the second time around!  If there's a difficult way to do something, that's usually my first instinct!

Thanks again everyone.  I'll take pictures mid-August when I take my baby out for her first camping experience (I bought it last Fall and am just now in a position to get out to the campground).  Talk to you all again soon.

Offline Hudsonite

• Squirrel
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 06:40:30 AM »
Hello Pete,

I can't seem to get your pictures of the bed end replacement.  I've tried all the posts and your web site, but I've been unsuccessful.  Do you or anyone else have a suggestion as to how I can get those pictures and your advice on fixing them?  Thanks much from a novice!  Scott
cott, Linda, Sarah, Hannah, Emily, Samuel, Taylor, Madison
75 Ramada

Offline jg

• Moose
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »
Hudsonite, If you go to galley #10333 there are pictures that show the steps for replacing living hinge. I'm sure it belongs to Fireman Pete but
has not been titled and cross referenced yet because of the new gallery.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal