Author Topic: REPACK YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS! (New Post with new Photos 7/05)  (Read 21763 times)

DDLTexan

REPACK YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS! (New Post with new Photos 7/05)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 06:45:24 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
It would be irony to be killed off by the things that helped you go camping and get back to nature.    Jeff

Revenge of the chemicals that humans have created.

Offline FiremanPete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apache Master
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 07:28:15 AM »
Quote from: "timsch"
I also bath in MEK and brake cleaner. What the (Censored word, PLEASE REMOVE!)), life is over rated! :roll:

You have to forgive pete as he is converting to French and that frontal lobatomy is finaly kickin' in. Pretty soon he will be surrendering to the door bell like all go froggies.

Jeff.....I think that was Tim's attempt at humor....

Back in his days with the French Resistance (he gave all the Nazis bad haircuts and trimmed their fingernails crooked.....that was his contribution to the movement)  he had an anvil dropped on his head by a coyote, and he's never been the same since.

As for the blue grease, THAT'S NOT MY PICTURE, DUDE!  AND THOSE AREN'T MY UGLY FINGERNAILS!  :lol:

I couldn't take a pic of the grease packing because my camera would never have forgiven me, and I'd have to bring it in the bathtub of brake cleaner with me to clean it...then it might not work too well.

I'll try to find the mfr of the bearing grease....don't remember...said high-temp bearing grease.
Pete         '67
Katie        '69
Samantha '95
Shaun       '96
Shannon   '98

Ramada    '78

DDLTexan

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 07:49:40 AM »
Ahhhh Pete, didn't want to sacrifice your camera for a good picture?

I know.

You needed to draft your child into being your photographer!

:D

Offline Lotsadirt

• Squirrel
    • http://www.geocities.com/jennieswanson@sbcglobal.net/mygardensite.html
How often?
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 07:31:25 PM »
How often should the bearings be repacked?  We did ours last year and only took a few short trips.  Longer trips planned this year.
969 Apache Mesa, 4 kids, grandson and dog

Offline Kript

• Elk
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 08:30:56 PM »
The Fayette trailer manual suggests yearly. As these critters run warm, when they cool down they
bring in moisture laden air that can condense and cause water to build up in them. This can
lead to rust, pitting of the races and or tapered roller bearing. Without  a visual inspection
you never know of the problem. Dirt and other forein particals may aslo make there way in there
and cause wear, breaking down the hardened surfaces, which in turn will create more heat
as they run. Yearly inspections and lubrications will keep them running for many, many years
so they most likely will never have to be replaced.
ript
    75 Mesa

Offline araden

• Vesely Prodigy
    • http://www.brandydesigns.com
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:19:31 AM »
I always repack mine every year, or every 5,000 miles, whichever comes first.  The previous owner didn't cover as many miles, but repacked the bearings every year.  My trailer still has the original bearings.
l r.
'72 Yuma

"Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow."

DDLTexan

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »
Prevention is important.  Take care of your bearings annually and you might never have to replace them.  Mine are the original bearings from 1973.

Offline Lotsadirt

• Squirrel
    • http://www.geocities.com/jennieswanson@sbcglobal.net/mygardensite.html
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 10:38:01 AM »
I will have them repacked.  thanks! :D
969 Apache Mesa, 4 kids, grandson and dog

Offline Maineboy

• Chipmunk
repacking the bearings
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »
My camper is parked outside on a neighbor's parking pad in Baltimore City.  I think, for cleanliness' sake and a good working environment, I may be best served bringing my 73 Apache to an RV or trailer shop and have the bearings regreased there.  Any thoughts?  I don't know what the cost would be, but "peace of mind" is also something worth considering.  I will be stopping by Chesaco RV (just outside Baltimore) tomorrow to pick up a propane tank cover, I'll see if I can get an estimate to have the work done.
1973 Apache Mesa, aka my "retirement home"!

Offline scooter

• Apache Master
    • http://www.apachepopups.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album207&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&in
The Leinie Lodge, 76 Mesa with "custom" paint job and decals.

Psalm 121

Offline aaronanalog

• Apache Master
Re: REPACK YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS! (New Post with new Photos 7/05)
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »
Can someone repost the pics on here ?

I need to repack my bearings tonight in the rain and in the dark. What tools do I need to do this ? I know how to pack them just how do I get to them on a 79 Ramada and with what tools ?
'79 Ramada
'96 Crown Victoria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LJNlJCbBs

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »
Can someone repost the pics on here ?

I need to repack my bearings tonight in the rain and in the dark. What tools do I need to do this ? I know how to pack them just how do I get to them on a 79 Ramada and with what tools ?

Don't have any pictures to post but: Pry off the bearing cap....gently going from side to side a little at a time until it pops off. Inside you'll find a crown nut with a cotter pin running through it. Use pliers to squeeze the expanded end of the cotter pin together and gently tap it as far out the opposite side as you can. With the pliers gently pull the cotter key out. I keep saying gently because I don't want you breaking the cotter pin if you don't have replacements.

Do not use the crescent wrench on the crown nut.
It just slip off and back on.

Take the crown nut off and unscrew the bearing nut. Wiggle the drum lightly and the bearing will start to come out. There is a washer on top of the bearing so don't miss that.

Clean up the bearings, pack them and reverse the removal process.

Here's the really important part. When putting the bearings back in snug it with your fingers and then use a crescent wrench and tighten the nut down. Then back the nut off approx 1/4 turn or until an opening in the king nut lines up with the hole in the spindle. The drum should rotate with ease b though not loose. As you'll be using the original bearings there is no need to crank the nut down to seat the bearings. If using new bearings you need to put some pressure on the nut to seat the bearings.

One last thing. Do what you can to not let the bearings get wet. Especially when reinstalling. Moisture/wet will only cause you problems later on.

Hope this is of some help.

P.S. I always add a fair amount of extra grease in the bearing cap for insurance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:30:03 PM by MIEric »

Offline MIEric

• Grizzly
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous
It would be irony to be killed off by the things that helped you go camping and get back to nature.    Jeff

Revenge of the chemicals that humans have created.

A chemist for Dow Chemical once said that no chemical should be produced without what it takes to completely neutralize it.

Offline stu1021

• Soggy Tenter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »
P.S. I always add a fair amount of extra grease in the bearing cap for insurance.

Just curious about this - I have been repacking my own bearings for years on many types of vehicles.  When studying up on this some feel that if a little grease is good, then more is better.  I have also read that you only want enough to completely fill the bearings and no more because excessive grease in the assembly will actually cause it to run hotter.  I service my wheels regularly and have adhered to the latter advice for many years with good results.

Anyone else have an opinion on this ?

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal