Author Topic: SOS -- 73' That needs new Drum Brakes  (Read 944 times)

Offline 4funonline

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Chipmunk
SOS -- 73' That needs new Drum Brakes
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »
We took our 1973 Apache to Les Schwab to get the bearings packed (yes I know I was a bit lazy on this one) at which point they informed me that the brake system needed some significant work. Someeone there said the drums were fine so they went ahead and put new pads a few other things. When the lead brake guy started adjusting the brakes he realized the drums were practically at minimum tolerances and recommended we replace them but they are unable to find the part. Does anyone know where I can come by drums that will fit?? After all it would be kind of dumb to put all that money into it for the rest of the brake system and not be able to use the brakes for long.

Thanks for the help!

Offline timsch

• Vesely Prodigy
    • http://www.apachepopup.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
The price your paying for the parts and the labor you could have put new brakes and axle on. The Fayettes are no longer made and parts are nearly impossible to find. Which brings me to my question of where in gods green earth did these guys find the parts they did?

Offline 4funonline

• Chipmunk
Need Drums
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »
They must have good suppliers because they replaced everything but the drums themselves. Unfortunately that leaves me in a bit of a bind. Do you by chance know anyone who has a set of drums just lying around somewhere? As for the axle swap, I am a first time and new owner of the Apache trailer and did not know parts for the braking system were going to be a problem to procure. Live and learn I guess but my guess is that if you do not have these parts sitting around nobody does.

Jeff

Offline 4funonline

• Chipmunk
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
Hey Tim, if it turns out I am unable to find said drums do you know where I could come by a new axle that is sized for my trailer?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Offline Beckie

• Can't Back-up Straight
73' That needs new Drum Brakes
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 06:59:25 AM »
General RV in MT Clemens, MI has one sitting on the shelf. They had two but I bought the other one. I believe it has left hand threads so I hope you've got the lugs because those are hard to find.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal