Author Topic: Is this living hinge?  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Natasha0921

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: North Carolina
  • Type of Camper: 1979 Apacha Mesa Hardside
Is this living hinge?
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
I bought a 1979 Apache Mesa yesterday.  I am trying to learn all the part names etc.

The biggest issue I have right now is the connection under the window side is completely disconnected from where it meets at the outside bed area.   I'm wondering what this is called so I can replace it.   Please see picture

I cannot get the picture to show up.  I read how to do it but it will not work for some reason.  Link to the gallery pic 

http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=9027

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:59:09 AM by Natasha0921 »

Offline Trailman

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1965 Silver Eagle,1966 Chief,1969 Eagle,75 Mesa
  • State: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Is this living hinge?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The Mesa in the photo is a 71 or 72 from the looks of it.
There should be living hinge, do you have a close up of the hinge plastic, looks a bit off in the photo.
I had a 74 Mesa once where someone had messed up by fitting a piano hinge to that area, not recommended.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »
Hello and welcome to the apache site. The areas in your pictures do use living hinge. My wife and I make a very high quality living hinge to use as a replacement on your bed ends.

If you decide to buy the living hinge I hope you will consider getting in contact with us. My name is Greg and my email is gg45cn85@att.net I have many many satisfied customers from all the apache sites. I also send installation instructions with every order. By the way on your year apache the top of that same wall uses living hinge also.
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
By the way I made up a diagram of the locations where the living hinge goes. It's a very good idea to check all the locations to see if your trailer still has the old plastic hinge. Anyone who still has that old hinge should really think about replacing it with the new living hinge.  The last thing you want to have happen is be out camping somewhere and have the back wall fall off your trailer.

GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline brandenpro

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: Oregon
  • Type of Camper: Mesa
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »
Don't the sidewalls just slide in and out on tracks? 

Offline raccoon

• Moose
  • State: Ohio
  • Type of Camper: 79 Royal
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
the one in the pic is a 72 , 71 the bedend fold up into the roof. brandenpro the wingwalls (sidewalls) slide in and out on living hinge so it can fold down on to the bedend.

Offline brandenpro

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: Oregon
  • Type of Camper: Mesa
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
I have a 76 Royal. There's just a tongue and groove type system. I would like to see some pictures of what it's supposed to be.

Offline Desert Satanna

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
Don't the sidewalls just slide in and out on tracks?
I have a '76 Royal, a '76 Mesa, and (for parts) a '76 Ramada, so I am well familiar with the system you are describing.

If you were to take the system apart, you will notice that there is a groove in the bottom of the side wall (plastic channel) and a corresponding groove along the top of the metal bed end frame. The living hinge sits in between these two. The bed end portion will slide along the hinge as you move it to put it into place or to take down.

The old (original) material was made of plastic as well, which may give the mistaken impression that it is a tongue-and-groove or track system. Greg and Colleen (Redwood) make an absolutely awesome replacement product, or you could always order it through Apache Replacement Parts - though I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you go with Greg on this one.   ;D ;D

I will update this with pictures later today if possible...
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred....

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal