Author Topic: Living Hinges  (Read 2849 times)

Offline tomkat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Soggy Tenter
Living Hinges
« on: May 05, 2003, 04:01:23 AM »
After much searching through old messages, I have decided to give up and ask for directions  :wink:

What is it that is carried by Home Depot that has been used successfully to replace living hinges?  We would like to do it this week, so don't want to wait for mail order.  I am sure I have read about this, but sure can't find it.  

Happy Camping,
om and Sally
Snohomish, WA

'77 Ranger

Offline Lorna

• Chipmunk
Living Hinges
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 11:26:08 AM »
The Brand Name is "Wrap On"   The colours designates the length (orange = 30 ft).  If you can't find it at HD (this time of year??) then try this site.  This is where I found the fuzzy weatherstrip for the windows.

http://doityourself.com/store

Offline timsch

• Vesely Prodigy
    • http://www.apachepopup.com
Living Hinges
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003, 03:03:07 PM »
Why are do you want to use a heat tape instead of the designed living hinge for your Apache? The experience I have had with a plastic living hinge is that it breaks between the two beaded ends. Vesely put a plastic hinge on the Apaches and switched over to the cloth for a reason. I believe it was breaking in the middle and dropping sidewalls in the 1973 and earlier units. In the 1974 and later they put it only in the bed end end wall to reduce the stock I believe. I would be very hesitant as I have seen many of these while stting up just let go and damage the ABS.

Offline JD

• Chipmunk
Living Hinges
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 03:30:30 PM »
Hey which parts are the living Hinges?
I need some new pieces that slide the bed end sides in to position. These are on the bottom, that allow the sides to fold up and slide into postion.
 Are these living hinges? I need some of these.

Thanks,
JD
970 JD
1979 Mesa
2005 Silverado Crew Cab

Offline timsch

• Vesely Prodigy
Living Hinges
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 04:09:11 PM »
That's the living hinge, how much ya need JD? Put a list together and email me, it will be easier that way.

Offline JD

• Chipmunk
Living Hinges
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 04:51:49 PM »
OK Tim, I will gather up a list tonight.

-JD
970 JD
1979 Mesa
2005 Silverado Crew Cab

Offline Lorna

• Chipmunk
Living Hinges
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2003, 10:16:41 PM »
Doesn't the canvas mildew and/or rot?  Besides I have some really weird ants that will make nests in and eat up most cloth & paper (no dirt needed).  Personally we have decided that we will stick with the plastic or in this case heat tape.

Offline timsch

• Vesely Prodigy
Living Hinges
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 08:58:40 AM »
Any fabric that is unattended in a popups case will mold and mildew if allowed to get wet and not dry out. The living hinge sits behind the the sidewalls and is not supposed to get any moisture of any kind. It is also behind a lip on the bed end wall. If these pieces of living hinge are getting wet, molding and mildewing than there is a bigger problem than the living hinge. It sounds as though there are cracks leading to leaks to your ABS or that the sidewalls and bed ends are not fitting together correctly. I have yet to see Living hinge mold, mildew and rot and i have worked on just about every year and model there is. If you have ants, I'm sure it's not the Living hinge attracting them. If you have food stored in your Apache, those little pests will find it. They love to nest under the foam mattress's. Every instance of living hinge problem I have encountered is from the fact that it was plastic hinge and every unit that has the cloth living hinge, 1974 and up, that I have restored has been good. The only reason I change the living hinge on a restore is that I have it and I like to fully restore to as new as I can get. In the bed ends, at the base of the end wall is a plastic living hinge and it has (2) plastic stops that have screws thru the inside end wall into these stops. For those who do not know, this is to keep the end wall from sliding back and forth. When you change the living hinge here you want to remove the stops and put the living hinge all the way accross and replace the screws. This will secure the end wall in place. The plastic stops are not available anymore and are usually all broken. A way to check it to see if yours are broke is to pull up gently from the outside on the bed end wall by the end cap. If your wall lifts away from the aluminum extrusion more than 1/4", your stops are broke.

Offline JD

• Chipmunk
Living Hinges
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 01:44:11 AM »
Hey Tim,
don't know if you recieved my email or not?
Anyway I need enough living hinge to do all 4 bed end side panels.
Also need 20 of the window buttons.

Thanks,
JD
970 JD
1979 Mesa
2005 Silverado Crew Cab

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal