Author Topic: LIVING HINGE REPLACEMENT HOW-TO (WITH PHOTOS/LINKS REPAIRED)  (Read 28711 times)

Offline jg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Moose
Re: LIVING HINGE REPLACEMENT HOW-TO (WITH PHOTOS/LINKS REPAIRED)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
The actual name is "Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene". You can buy ABS pellets and other available parts from Apache Sales.

http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/index.html

The pellets are mixed with a solvent called MEK or menthyl ethtyl ketone that can be found at most hardware stores or Home Depot.  The MEK is mixed with the pellets to form a paste and used to repair the ABS on Apaches. MEK is more difficult to obtain in Canada

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:45 PM »
Hey ajgcrnp,
    I would get the ABS pellets from Apache sales then you'll know you have the right kind.
  Also I would read all the info on ABS repair, there's a ton of good tips on doing these repairs.
    Look in---   ABS Issues
All things related to repairing ABS                                                                     

Good Luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 08:07:43 PM by redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline lascassas_camper

• Squirrel
  • www.photobucket.com/lascassas_camper
What is it?
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:30 AM »
What is a "living hinge"?

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
Re: What is it?
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »
What is a "living hinge"?

"Living Hinge" is a plastic hinge (earlier models) or cloth hinge (later models and current replacement) as seen in this original picture posted by FiremanPete. The living hinge is what FiremanPete is cutting with the scissor. Living hinge is used on all three sides of the bed end panels. You can easily see them on bed end side panels, and the living hinge is what enable the side panels to slide easily laterally and folds down with a lot of flexability. Earlier plastic living hinge tends to split apart due to age, and cloth ones are excellent replacement for it.

Go to this post and you'll see #3 in the picture is a close up of the cloth living hinge. http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=4028.0
Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline Bobster

• Chipmunk
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 11:43:45 PM »
IS the hinge that connects the man side walls to the lower camper half called living hinge also?  Is is aluminum on my Yuma.  Why could it not be used on the bed ends as well.  Is it still available anywhere?  Thanks, Great forum.

Bob

Offline jgandbfharris

• Can't Back-up Straight
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »
This is a "re-build" of last year's page...that page was lost when I changed internet providers....this was rebuilt with the original photos, but I'm working off memory now.  If anybody spots any errors or inconsistencies, please feel free to let me know and I'll review it.  Thanks!

WORD OF WARNING: Get a can of bee spray and make sure you check for wasp nests under the ends of the slide-out beds (in the corners especially!) I had four wasp nests; one was in each corner. Since you'll be pulling off the corner end caps, you'll want to spray the nests the night before to avoid getting stung! For some reason, the wasps love those underneath corner spots for building a home!

For those of you wondering "what's living hinge???"...
It's the plastic hinge that allows the side ABS panels to fold down at the pull-out beds, and allows the bed ends to fold up when you set your camper up. When these crack, it makes set-up difficult, and you run the risk of your bed ends "falling out" of your camper and smashing on the ground.

Feel free to take a look and find out how simple replacement is!

Parts List for this project:

Living Hinge (check ebay and search for "Apache camper" and you just might find it for sale...enough to replace all your hinge at once!)

Living Hinge Retainers (also called "stops")  This is an optional purchase, but there's a good chance yours will be cracked.  You should replace these if you can find them (search on ebay as mentioned above.)

Bed End Caps (These may be available through ebay, or from Tim Schaefer, also known as timsch on this site.)

Slotted and Phillips Screwdrivers

Drill with carbide (metal) bit to drill out rivets

"Pop" Rivet gun and rivets (available at hardware store)

Silicone Lubricant ("Dry" silicone spray if you can find it)

Needle-Nosed Pliers

Duct Tape

This is what broken living hinge looks like!  You can see the separation of the plastic hinge, allowing the folded bed end to be "lifted" away from the base...living hinge also tends to crack at the bed end walls.  You might notice it when you try to slide the bed end walls back and then into the grooves when you set up.  If it's cracked, it will eventually break off completely!

Okay...the first primer is on on removing and replacing cracked living hinge at the base of the bed end wall (below the window).

**Get a friend to help with this if you can...it might help prevent you from having your bed end take a big fall! **

I recommend setting up your camper completely for this project.  I left my side walls open for light for photos, and it helps give better light for working as well...When replacing the hinge at the end of your bed ends, use duct tape to secure the bed end wall to the bed assembly.....remember that if you remove the living hinge you'll still need something to keep the two pieces from falling apart....this is where the duct tape and the friend come in!

First step is to remove the screws which hold the retainer (stop) in place.  This will allow the living hinge to slide.  **Save the screw...you'll replace it later!**

Once the screws are out, you can slide out the retainer/stops.  This is the piece which was held by the screws you just removed:

Here's a picture of the removed stop:  **Save the stops if unbroken...you'll reuse them...if they're broken, you may be able to get replacements from Tim Schaefer (timsch on this site, or thru his ebay sales)

Now remove the bed end caps (the grayish caps at the ends of the bed end rail.)  These often crack, and you may be able to get new ones from Tim Schaefer (timsch on this site, or thru his ebay sales.)  First you'll need to drill out the rivets on the bed cap.  Start with the outside top.

Then the bottom rivets:

Now break off the back end of the rivets:

and pull off the end caps:
[/img]

ENSURE that you have secured the bed end wall to the bed end base before you take the next step!  Duct tape the pieces so that they won't separate.  Have a friend stand ready to ensure there are no mishaps!  Oh, and if it's really windy, wait until the wind stops!

Now, remove the broken living hinge from the bed end.  First, remove the top half of the broken piece, if it's split in half:

Next, remove the bottom half piece:

Next, you'll need to slightly widen or "open" the end channels of the grooves to slide in the new living hinge.  **Never attempt to widen or open plastic or ABS channels...this is for metal channels only.**

Now you'll need to feed the new living hinge into the open channels.  I recommend spraying some dry silicone spray onto the living hinge and even in the channel openings (this is available through most auto parts stores...if not "dry" purchase "quick dry, no drip" type.)  You'll need to push the ends in with a small screwdriver or fine awl:

Now pull the new living hinge across the bed end with a pair of needle nose pliers.  It helps to have a friend push the hinge in the opposite side.  Remember that if you will reuse your plastic stops you'll have to leave the living hinge a few inches short to leave room to slide the stop back in.  My stops were broken, and I left them out, replacing the screw right through the living hinge to keep it from sliding.  I recommend contacting Tim Schaefer, however, and getting the new stops before you start this project.

So, now that the new hinge is in place, you need to relace both screws that you removed, as well as the stops if you're replacing them.  Place the bed end caps (or new ones, if you've purchased them) back on and use rivets or screws to secure.  I HIGHLY recommend "pop" rivets to replace these, since you won't have to worry about sharp screw ends sticking in toward the mattress.  If you use screws, file off the sharp ends once they're in!  You can also remove the duct tape holding the bed end to the base, and get your invaluable friend a nice cold beer (or mountain dew if it's Tim!)

Now on to replacing the bed side wall living hinges!

If your bed side wall living hinges are cracked, you know it every time you maneuver the sliding ABS panels in....they pull away from the base when you try to slide them into the recessed bed end panel.  And if they're not completely cracked yet, they soon will be....nothing like having the side panel fall out when one of your kids kicks it during the night.....better to replace them all now!

The first step in replacing the cracked bed side panel living hinge is to remove the screw holding the old hinge in place.  **Keep this screw...you'll need to replace it later!** This phillips-head screw is located just below the mattress line on each side:

With this screw removed, you should be able to slide the old living hinge out...if yours isn't completely cracked, you can slide the ABS panel back (as you do when you set the camper up) and keep sliding it back....the living hinge should all come out.  Otherwise, slide your ABS panel all the way back and off and use a pair of pliers to remove the cracked hinge from the channel.  (You may need a small screwdriver to remove any small pieces in the channel.):

You may want to slightly widen the channel at the far end of the bed side groove to facilitate sliding in the new living hinge:

At this point, I slid the new living hinge into the channel.  Again, some dry silicone lubricant sprayed on the living hinge and into the channel makes this easier.

Now slide the hinge into the channel:

Pull the new hinge all the way across and replace the screw that holds the hinge in place:

Once the screw is in, trim the opposite end of the living hinge.  I left about an inch of over hang beyond the ABS piece at the end of the channel:

Now slide the ABS bed side panel onto the top half of the new hinge.  Again, spray some silicone lubricant into the channel of the ABS side panel to make it easier to slide it on.  Have a friend help by using needle-nosed pliers to hold the end of the living hinge while you slide the panel onto it:  (** In this photo, you'll see the mold on my rubber seal on the ABS panel...use a mild bleach/water solution to clean this nasty stuff off...I should have done mine while it was off, but I was lazy and did it later.....)

Now slide your ABS panel all the way in.....it should slide freely, and now there's no worry that it will fall out while you sleep!

Offline jgandbfharris

• Can't Back-up Straight
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
I need to replace all living hinges on my 1977 Roamer. Where is the best place to get the hinge?
Thank you
Jim Harris

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
I need to replace all living hinges on my 1977 Roamer. Where is the best place to get the hinge?
Thank you
Jim Harris

Apache sales has the living hinge. http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/index.html
GREG

Offline jg

• Moose
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Order living hinge and other Apache parts from Apache Sales. Call Debbie.

http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/index.html

Offline runningbird

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
HELLO, ANY IDEA HOW TO REACH TIM SCHAEFER IN REGARDS TO LIVING HINDGE STOPS. AND I UNDERSTAND HE HAS A CD OUT FOR THE MAINTENANCE FOR CLEANING AND LUBING THE GEARBOXES THANKS  DEBBIE CAN E-MAIL ME AT djcopelandmom@yahoo.com  thanks debbie
Life isn't how many breaths you take  but doing things that take your breath away. http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4894;sa=mgallery

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
HELLO, ANY IDEA HOW TO REACH TIM SCHAEFER IN REGARDS TO LIVING HINDGE STOPS. AND I UNDERSTAND HE HAS A CD OUT FOR THE MAINTENANCE FOR CLEANING AND LUBING THE GEARBOXES THANKS  DEBBIE CAN E-MAIL ME AT djcopelandmom@yahoo.com  thanks debbie

You can contact Tim at   a1signsurveys@wowway.com 
GREG

Offline FitzFolly

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
Hi Debbie,
I bought the CD. Your money would be better spent on a 3/16 punch, paint thinner and grease. The best way to learn about maintenance on a gearbox is to take it apart, clean it, grease it and put it back together. It takes very few tools and a fair amount of elbow grease to attain a lot of satisfaction.
Reference the Gearbox Primer post, read postings and post questions as they come up. Take digital pics as you disassemble it or draw notes.
If you do need replacement hinge stops and you can't get them from Tim, let me know and I'll see if I can relocate a source for a hinge material that can be modified to work.
Good luck,
Mike

jdp

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
Hello!

I looked at the posted pictures but am having trouble telling which was the c-channel is facing on the bed end wall. I am replacing my c-channel that wasn't there so I do not want to glue it on the wrong way.
The metal channel of the bed sort of faces up and in so I was wondering do I glue the c-channel on so it face towards the outside of the bed or facing the mattress?

Thanks as usual for your expertise here!!  :)

Jim

Offline MrArcade

• Grizzly
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »
If your window wall is laying down with the outside of the windows facing up, the opening of the C channel slot would not face down. It would face towards the outside.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:56:11 PM by MrArcade »
MrArcade

'77 Roamer - Sold
'76 Royal - Sold
'78 Ramada - Sold
'75 Ramada - Sold
'78 Yuma - Sold
'77 Ranger - Sold
Gallery

jdp

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:40 AM »
Meaning the two channels basically are facing each other? I want to make sure before I glue that I have this visioned correctly!!!

And the c channel fits on the face of the wall flush with the edge and does not overhang the edge, correct?

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:17:21 AM by Jim P »

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal