Author Topic: Replaced living hinges!  (Read 2185 times)

Offline NcRanger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Soggy Tenter
Replaced living hinges!
« on: September 28, 2006, 06:05:48 PM »
Well we replaced one end before the rains came down. Actually, once we figured out what we were doing it went pretty easy. I had read that the bed ends were the worst, for me, they were the easiest. I didn't quite go by the directions I had read. I slid the living hinge into the body/frame slot, then two of us grabbed a corner of the roof end, and with my wife inside the Ranger to guide it, we slid the whole roof end across and onto the living hinge. The same with bed ends. We slid the living hinge into the body/frame slot, then got the bed end and just slid it onto  the living hinge. I did use silicon spray in the slots to help slide the living hinge and the bed ends/roof end into place. Wow! What a difference! Every living hinge on the Ranger was broken in the middle except the one in the center of the back bed wall and the roof. When we camped, we just kind of had them setting in place, and prayed no one would stretch out and kick a bed end out in the middle of the night.. We were lucky I suppose, because it never happened.  Set up should be so much easier now as well. Maybe we were just lucky, but total time involved was about 10 minutes for the back wall/roof end, and about 15 seconds each for the bed ends. Got all the living hinge stops back in place and was about to rivet the bed end caps into place when the rains began. I went from being very apprehensive to very happy in 15 minutes. Wish I could have taken some photos, but all available hands were busy. Dave
Every day above ground is a good day"

Offline homer

• Apache Master
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: Ranger 1977(sold); now a Toyota mini-motorhome SLE
hinges
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:37:05 PM »
Great!  See...we think a lot of things that would be hard and it ends being so easy.  Lots of us though, dread to tackle things and keep puting it off or just forgetting it.  Congratulations Dave , Job well learned. Happy Memory making is ahead.
'homer'
Retired and Loving it. WE go Primitive camping, makes you appreciate home more.

to photos:
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=aevaitems;u=119

Offline almsthvn

• Deer
Replaced living hinges!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:25:01 AM »
NcRanger, How many yards of living hinge did you need to replace them all?
oberta (born the day JFK was shot)
Bob (will always be older than me)
girls '82 & '85 + husbands
boys '89 & '93
'77 Royal

Offline NcRanger

• Soggy Tenter
Replaced living hinges!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:36:50 PM »
I believe I ordered 40 feet. I had about 12 or 13 inches left when I was done. I did the two bed end window walls, and the four bed end sides. It is so nice to finally have it done correctly, and not have walls constantly sliding out.  The whole process was much more easier to do than I had anticipated it would be. Let me know if you need any help. Dave
Every day above ground is a good day"

Offline nuthouseinva

• Vesely Prodigy
  • Let's talk about Apaches and camping.
    • Nuthouseinva's 1975 Apache Royal Pics
  • State: Virginia
  • Type of Camper: 75 Royal
Re: Replaced living hinges!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:13:42 AM »
I just replaced most of my living hinge yesterday evening. Still have to do the bed ends.  The sides were a piece of cake until I got to a stuck screw. One of the previous owners must have gotten some glue down in the track from on of the repairs to a bed end. Ended up having to drill out the screw. Could have been a 30 minute job if it weren't for the stuck screw. Will work on the bed ends when I get an extra hand.
Brian (and Casey)
Chesapeake, Virginia

1975 Apache Royal - The Nuthouse

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
Great job you guys. My Mesa bed ends were falling off when we got our trailer. I was so glad to get the new living hinge installed. Before we installed ours we sprayed them with
Scotchguard and let them dry. This helps to keep them more water resistant
  ;)
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline rdaniel911

• Wolf
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Tim,
Do you still have the retainers, I tried the link you posted when you started this posting and it doesn't work anymore.

Offline chargh

• Greenhorn Camper
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
What did you use for the living hinges on the bed ends and where did you get them> I have a 76 Apache Mesa and the bottom bed hinges are both broke.

Offline gundoger

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: New Mexico
  • Type of Camper: 76 Royal
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »

You can buy Living Hinge from Apache Sales, you will need about 40ft. to do the whole thing.

http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/

If you want to make your own Living Hinge here is some ideas.

http://apachepopupcampermessageboard.yuku.com/topic/498
76 Royal
F-250 4X4
German Shorthaired Pointers

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal