Author Topic: Replacing living hinge under the window bed end wall  (Read 4488 times)

Offline 79Ramada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
Replacing living hinge under the window bed end wall
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
Hello all, since I was able to accomplish the replacement of the living hinge by myself in one weekend, with the help from FiremanPete's article, I thought I'll share my method.

I was able to replaced the living hinge by myself. Procedure are pretty much similar to the one posted by FiremanPeter here http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=1689.0

1, Remove 4 set screws that holding the living hinge or living hinge stops. You'll need to setup the bed end roof completely to accomplish this, just like in FiremanPete's article.
2, Remove the two bed end caps, will make removal of living hinge easier. 
3, I have removed the two side walls completely to get them out of the way.
4, I put a piece of 2x4 across the bed end and paddes with a blanket. Also put another blanket down on the mattress, so it will protect the mattress and also help glide the entire wall by yourself easily. Now fold the bed end roof back down on top of the 2x4 and blanket in such a way that there are no pressure binding the living hinge to the guides.

5, there are several ways to remove the living hinge. If the living hinge is split most the way, you might as well split them completely (and carefully) with a utility knife, and the two split pieces should be able to pulled out unimpeded. In my case it is split about 12" at both ends, I have elected to slide them out slowly. As pictured below, I can slide the wall back and forth about 2 to 3 inches before the right angle edge of the ABS wall will hit the aluminum bed end. So I would pull the bed end wall and the living hinge toward me as far as I can pull it. Than push the wall away from you but keep the living hinge taught like in the picture below, so it would not go back inside the aluminum channel.

This back and forth action would eventually get the old hinge out like this

6, One you get the living hinges out, clean the channels. I also wipe down the clean channels with silicon cloth to make them super smooth to get the new hinge to slide in.

7, Before inserting a new living hinge, make sure you space the two guide channels apart evenly so that it will not bind. I used my right hand to feed the living hinge into the guide (because I'm a righty) and I used a dental pick with my left hand to move the hinge along. You could not see my right hand feeding the living hinge because it is busy taking this picture. You got the idea.

8, Before you screw that set screws back in to hold the living hinge permantly, make sure your wall is centered on the bed end. Now you can put back what ever you take off in reverse order. 

9, So here is a picture of one bed end corner completely reassembled.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:37:53 PM by 79Ramada »
Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline jg

• Moose
Re: Replacing living hinge under the window bed end wall
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »
Thanks for posting a very informative and clear process with great pictures. You did a really nice job as usual. 

-Jon

Offline donuntch

• Greenhorn Camper
  • 1975 apache roamer w much needed shower. 26 feet. 29 states 9 weeks 9000 miles and the roof left us and now repaired like new!!
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: apache roamer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 10:41:52 AM »
Thank you so much however my problem is the side not the window allthough the window slide you are refering to will probably need repair as well. would you call this vinyl welt like they use on furniture. again thanks so much   Don
29 states , 9 and a half weeks 9000 miles and the roof blew off really!!  2010

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
The bedend side walls use the same cloth living hinge as you can see in the picture below. The side walls actually do slide in and out very easily as you can see in the picture. They had to in order to setup the bedend properly. When I was replacing the living hinge in the pictures above, I took all the side walls off by sliding them out completely for safe keeping. In the very top picture, you can see the side wall living hinge still attached to the bed end right next to the blue blanket.

Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline 73 apache mesa

• Can't Back-up Straight
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
hi, i can\t see the pics you posted of replacing the living hinge,,i have to have mine replaced and sure would love to be able to see how to do it. thanks

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
hi, i can\t see the pics you posted of replacing the living hinge,,i have to have mine replaced and sure would love to be able to see how to do it. thanks

Try this link http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=1689.0
 By the way I have awesome living hinge for sale, you can contact me if you need any.
  gregcolleen@sbcglobal.net.                    Greg
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline 73 apache mesa

• Can't Back-up Straight
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »
hi thanks for the link, and yes we have some that we got from apache dealer in the states, lol just did not know how to replace it. thanks so much for the link, hopefully when it is not raining we can get it together.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal