Author Topic: Awning - Make your own!  (Read 13407 times)

Offline McNeill_PNW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Raccoon
  • State: WA
  • Type of Camper: 1978 Apache Ramada
comb-over style awning
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
I'm thinking about making my own awning and am considering an extra long version that mounted from the opposite side (you'd have to switch the trim).  The installed fabric/tarp would go up and over the roof (think bad "comb-over") and protect it from sap and other tree debris.  It would also add clearance at the top of the door.  Anyone ever tried something like this?

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
Re: Awning - Make your own!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:56:58 AM »
I used a screen door roller for awnings to protect my awning from the door.  I use the awning rail on the roof. 

I also have a screen house walls for my awning.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline Wild-Surfwood

• Moose
  • State: Rhode Island
  • Type of Camper: 78 Ranger 74 Royal
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
I have seen the "comb over" before. Not sure who it was, but they attached the tarp on the opposite side of the camper(left side when facing hitch)  like you are talking about and the canopy was big enough to cover entire camper. Bed ends too:) I plan on making an awning from a tarp this Spring and attaching it door-side .I ordered Keder http://www.amazon.com/Keder-8-5mm-Single-Standard-White/dp/B00P6O8LRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462455724&sr=8-1&keywords=keder to sew onto the top. As opposed to sewing in string to attach to the C rail or channel. I got an appropriate sized needle for the sewing machine and UV rated thread. Both can be found at Walmart or any craft/fabric store. this is the channel I would secure to the other side of the camper much like the one thats already on the camper.  http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Molding-RV2033AW16-Arctic-Awning/dp/B007HRSXT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462455848&sr=8-1&keywords=awning+rail  I would get the aluminum one, but I used this as an example. There are alot of online RV sites you could use for the materials too.
 I think the member who used the tarp to cover the camper used a piece of conduit and rolled the tarp into it and screwed it to the aluminum that goes around the camper. I could be wrong. Good luck.

Offline homer

• Apache Master
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: Ranger 1977(sold); now a Toyota mini-motorhome SLE
Re: Awning - Make your own!by homer
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:06:25 AM »
I think you might have meant the cover I made for my ranger. It served the purpose for ten years. I used a blue tarp for some time then found a heavy duty green tarp at Harbor Freight on sale and put the eyelets in it and used it. I like the green color better plus the blue one was thin and didn't last. I bought the tent poles at wally world and the turn buttons at Lowe's but other hardware stores have them.  What I did was the cheapest I could come up with and really served the purpose of shade and protection for the top and bed ends.  I used cord for the guy ropes.
for photos in my album: I think it is also in the bottom of the email post.

http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=aevaitems;u=119

Good luck on what you come up with an awning.
homer
Retired and Loving it. WE go Primitive camping, makes you appreciate home more.

to photos:

Offline Big_Sur

• Elk
  • 76 Ramada, 72 Roamer, 63 Eagle
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
The comb-over might turn into a gigantic sail unless you use shade cloth or a slitted or vented fabric (why umbrellas have a vent at the top). You can try it for cheap with big-box store 12x14 canvas painters tarp, about $50. If it turns into a sail you'll need to make a few slits in it. I've been using painters tarp to cover my trailers here in Baja Arizona and they don't turn into sails or get hot. The folks that go to Burning Man use combovers with Aluminet to keep their trailers and RVs cool, but it's kinda expensive if you're just looking for something to take pine sap.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 04:02:18 PM »
In high winds, I have to drop my awning to the ground despite using 3 tie downs.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline homer

• Apache Master
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: Ranger 1977(sold); now a Toyota mini-motorhome SLE
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »
I guess that I was BLESSED ! :)  With  only one incident in all my camping with the APACHE. One morning around 4 AM after raining most of the night , it felt like someone or something had hit the side of our camper and shook us good. I got up and looked out the door and water had gathered so much in a dip that it pulled the peg out and what hit the side was gallons and gallons  of water. I made sure from then on to have the tarp placed as to have an escape route so all the rain ran off easily. That was about 15 yrs ago.  :)Apache  tarp was 14' X 24'.
What I figured out was the best investment for the purpose , more livable space under it, more shade, protection from the elements than what a small expensive awning costs.
I liked the results so much that I increased the space under my mini-motorhome by the same method only I used a silver heavy duty tarp 10'X14'.
This just my opinion.  If it helps you then I'm pleased.
homer
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:00:22 AM by homer »
Retired and Loving it. WE go Primitive camping, makes you appreciate home more.

to photos:

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal