Author Topic: Canned/ dry foods recipes?  (Read 5864 times)

Offline jkmacboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Raccoon
  • The Royal Sunflower -----@
  • State: NY
  • Type of Camper: 76 Apache Royal
Re: Canned/ dry foods recipes?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
I had to look up shoepeg corn.  A southern variety of white sweet corn.  This is the third southern term I've learned in a week.  Pretty soon, I'll be as versed as Paul Dean. ;D

I'm from New York..... but the corn is on most supermarket shelves I've seen around the country. The jolly Green Giant is Everywhere
I live in Brooklyn NY. My "76" Apache Royal lives in Lakeville CT, we miss each other :-)

Offline CharleyGirl

• Ole' Elmer Like
    • Picture Gallery
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
You know it could be, I'll take a look next shopping trip.  Now that I"ve heard it, the term will pop up everywhere. (no pun intended lol)
Charlene
Newbies bought first camper 8/2011

Charlene's 74 Ramada Photos

Offline CharleyGirl

• Ole' Elmer Like
    • Picture Gallery
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
jkmacboy,
O.K. so I went to the grocery store today and on the top shelf, all by itself, was an itty bitty can of shoepeg white corn by Green Giant. The other brands just call it white corn.  I bought it ;)
Charlene

Offline EdwardTeach

• Beaver
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
One essential for camping for long periods is a big ole bag of spuds. They keep well and donít need refrigeration. You can do so many things with them. If I have a fire going, I normally take loads of them and drop them right on the coals, let them bake. Eat them like apples. Hot or cold. Great for a snack on the trail if I go hiking. Just leave the left over ones on the counter, they keep just fine for a day or two. Once baked you can chop them up and throw them in a skillet and add a can of corn beef. Makes the best hash. You can add them to soups and stews. Not to mention with a can of condensed milk they make great mashed potatoes. No boiling just mash up the leftover baked ones add some condensed or evaporated milk salt and pepper to taste. Warm it up on the stove, or over a fire. So the next time you got a fire going toss on a silly amount of potatoes, I promise they wonít go to waste.
ED.

Offline rabalay

• Grizzly
  • State: NC
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Mesa
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
Here's my favorite recipe that calls for shoepeg corn. This recipe is sooo dang delicious. This would be perfect for camping. You can make it ahead and keep it in the cooler and eat on it all week. I also like to add a can of rinsed black beans to this. You can double the veggies without doubling the sauce. Maybe I'll bring this to the roundup.  ;)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-salad/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=marinated%20salad&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

ED, you're making me hungry for potatoes!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:58:10 PM by rabalay »
Rachel & Raymond

Offline jkmacboy

• Raccoon
  • The Royal Sunflower -----@
  • State: NY
  • Type of Camper: 76 Apache Royal
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Charleygirl glad you got some corn I'm sure there will be more in the store soon :-)

to Add to the potato ideas after they are baked (i suggest wrapping in foil before tossing in coals) you can slice them and pan fry in a bit of olive oil.

this thread is making me hungry .. off to cook dinner

- Jerry
I live in Brooklyn NY. My "76" Apache Royal lives in Lakeville CT, we miss each other :-)

Offline CharleyGirl

• Ole' Elmer Like
    • Picture Gallery
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »

Beer-Steamed Potato Hobo Pack
Place potatoes on a sheet of parchment-lined foil, and season with salt and pepper.
Fold and crimp edges to seal, leaving an opening at the top. Pour in 1/2 cup beer
 (you'll have some left over). Crimp remaining edges to seal. Cook pack set over a
campfire or on a medium-high grill (or nestled near coals) until potatoes are tender,
20 to 25 minutes. Top potatoes with butter.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:10:12 PM by CharleyGirl »
Charlene

Offline Maryellen

• Elk
    • Website
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:21 AM »
Ed I like your potato ideas. They are cheap and very versatile.

(Rachel?) the shoe peg corn recipe looks great. I like the idea of marinated salads to throw together at camp.

Charlene that looks like it would also be good with some brats and onions thrown in.

I was thinking linguine and white clam sauce would be another good one with canned clams and some fresh garlic and onions.

Offline Maryellen

• Elk
    • Website
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
I have an outline of things to build meals upon and every time I go to the store I pick up a few things for the stash. I have shoe peg corn, I have some asparagus, canned apples, corned beef hash ect. The problem is my camping stash is so much better than my actual household stash I think I need to put it under lock and key  ;D

Offline EdwardTeach

• Beaver
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »
I am the same way. In fact I have hit my camping stash often. What comes to mind especially is that I buy canned dog food for camping as my pooch is often off his feed with all the excitement, when we are camping. So when he is off his food at home I will grab a can from the stash and he perks right up. ED. ;D

Offline lance

• Grizzly
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
Mustard Pickles are a great side to add some zing to any dish.

2 heads cauliflower
10 cups cucumber chunks
2 quarts small white onions
3 green peppers
3 sweet red peppers

Cut to bite size pieces and combine in a large pot or bucket to soak in brine over night.

brine- 1 1/3 cups of coarse salt, 16 cups of water, 1 teaspoon of alum

drain off brine and rinse.

in canning pot combine
1/2 cup dry mustard
1 cup all purpose flower
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt

Blend in 2 cups of water, cook stirring constantly until thickened, slowly add 7 cups of cider vinegar

Bring to a boil and add vegetables, cook over medium heat until tender.  put in jars.

There is a place on earth for all God's creatures......
  .... right next to the potatoes and gravy.

http://www.apachepopups.net/SMF/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=350

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal