Archived Renovations / Improvements > Air Conditioning

Got started on installing an a/c unit yesterday

(1/2) > >>

GA1dad:
No where near completed, still in the testing stage. Will post more as progress is made.

My Cim came to me missing something under the sink. Not sure what was there originally, as there was a solid exterior access hatch, not the vented one that is used on the 3 way fridge setups. The cavity has been handy and has stored many things over the last few trips. I have however always planned on installing an a/c there. With the temps rising, and a July 12th trip planned, it was time to get started. In my mind, there were a few variables that needed to be worked out before making a permanent install,, so I decided a cardboard "mock up" would be the way to start. It should also be noted that I am using a 5,000 btu unit. I had purchased it for the Eagle and kept it when I sold the camper. Rather than go out and buy another bigger unit, I figured I'd have a go with the 5,000 in the Cim.

Here's the mockup

One of my biggest concerns was heat dispersment. My first change was robbing a vented hatch from a 76 Ramada. In theory, it should help let the exhaust disperse from the cavity.

My next consideration was seperating the intake and exhaust air flow. Window units exhaust a lot of heat by design. Since most a/c units only cool the ambient air down by 20 degrees, we don't want to start by trying to cool 120 plus degree exhaust air. For the mockup, you see the cardboard separation. The heat will come out of the fins and be channeled away from the intake (white cabinet vents). This a/c is one of the drainless types as well. The fan blades evidently dip into the condensate pan and splash the water onto the condensor for cooling. There is however water gathered in the pan. Just to be safe, I took a blue tub lid and am using it for the mockup. Don't laugh yet, remember, I'm still in research and development mode at this point.

So all set up and plugged in, I gave it a whirl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and nothing. While the blower is blowing, and the compressor is, well compressing of course,,, there is no "cold" air coming out. At this point it's basically a big, square box fan. I go back outside and put my hands over the vents and discover the problem,,,, the cavity is an absolute oven. The vents just aren't letting enough hot air escape, or cooler air in. At this rate, the a/c unit is doing all it can do to put out coolish air. So I open the hatch about a quarter way and try again,,,, not much better. Finally, I removed the hatch and everything comes together,,,, nice cold air is pouring inside the camper. The cardboard channel is working as planned!

I ran the unit from 11:00 until 5:00 yesterday afternoon with no problems. The camper was pretty much in full 85 to 90 degree sunlight. Inside was not what I would consider cold, but much cooler than it would have been without the a/c. I would say it was "comfortable". Since we tend to stay outside when camping anyway, I think I'll keep on with the 5,000 btu for now and tinker with adding some fans to move the air around better. Once the sun begins to set and we wind up for the day, the little unit is gonna be fine. If you tend to stay inside while camping, you may want to go with a bigger unit.

So having tested it via a mockup, I've got some new ideas working. I'll post more pics as I go along.

wayne.foutz.1:
thinking about similar install location on my ramada, nice to see your  mock up and solutions. thanks in advance
wayne

GA1dad:
Well Wayne, I see you chose my thread to make your first post. I am honored to be the first to say Welcome to the site!!!!

Be advised however, I am not even close to being an expert. I am merely a tinkerer that's not afraid to document his blunders, and occasionall successes. Hope to see you post more my friend!

Vir2:
Just curious how did you end up mounting your a/c unit or is it just sitting on that lid currently? I just picked up a Goldstar 5250 BTU unit at a yard sale for $20 and was interested In installing it in the same place

GA1dad:
Will let you know how I mount it,,,,,,,, just as soon as I figure it out myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version