Author Topic: 1969 Apache Eagle - cleanup  (Read 2449 times)

Offline charmi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Can't Back-up Straight
1969 Apache Eagle - cleanup
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
Wanted to share this with y'all.

We have had this Apache Eagle in the family since it was new. My grandparents used it as their first camper. I have camped in this as a child, taken my children on trips with it, my sister used it for a few years and now it is getting a fourth or fifth life as our new festival camper.

Minimal for a refurb:
prepped the steel frame and legs, primed and repainted
replaced rusted out leg 'keeper' wires with chain and clip to secure legs for travel
replaced tail and tag lights and side reflectors
pulled the bench seats out and reset or replaced all stripped hardware
reversed the benches so they would fasten into fresh wood
replaced wheels and tires
pulled, cleaned and repacked bearings
replaced the canvas with a new one from Gregory's Canvas Products - it is really nice!!! I believe better quality material than the original. Certainly not original color (all green canvas) or window shape but very nice construction.

Link to the photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4161248607040.1073741826.1758830256&type=1&l=3707a0c4fe

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
Re: 1969 Apache Eagle - cleanup
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
Charmi,

Love the work you have done on the Eagle! Great to hear that so many generations have had fun and will continue to have fun now that you gave the camper a little freshening up! I have a 1970 Eagle that I am fixing and I like your idea of putting chains on the legs for the rotten wire clip holder. I have the same problem but was going to try and make the wire clips myself and haven't even tried it yet. Thank you for sharing the gem that you own!!! :)
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »
Charmi,
I really like your camper.  A 69 is a very good year.  I am so glad that Eagle is filled with so many memories,  I'm sure you have already made a few of your own.  Good job.   In all reality it can never be filled to the point of overflowing so,   Roll on.  ;D   

Don't  be afraid to take that rig anywhere you like, It can take some miles.   ;)
As I can see it is registered in GA.  Nice state.  Send some pics from Stone Mtn. if you can.  We all like pics.   :D

I like your tail lights, where did you aquire those if I may ask?  I may need a backup, and those would do nicely.

Really looking forward to seeing you and your rig at a Apache Roundup in the future.  Maybe the fall trip in the Carolinas as I will not be able to make the one  hosted by Joe in TN.  Would love to make it, as he is also a softside guy, It's just not in the cards for this year.   If you have that weekend off, you should try to be there, you will have a grand time.

Welcome to the fray.   :D   Use that piece of history well.  Make some memories, and if possible tell us of your travels.  As trivel as it may sound,   
Stories and memories only enlighten, educate, and entertained when they are shared. 

Happy Travels.
Grampawsnazzy/Kevin. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:17:17 AM by Grampawsnazzy »
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline eaglecamp1

• Squirrel
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »
Great eagle! They are so much fun for quick trips!  :D So cool it has been in the family so long, hope you continue to enjoy for many years to come. Happy camping!! 8)

Offline charmi

• Can't Back-up Straight
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
I like your tail lights, where did you aquire those if I may ask?  I may need a backup, and those would do nicely.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

All of the outer plastic on the camper was cracked and gone. I would like to replace the rock shield on the front at some point too.

The new tail lights were the closest thing I could find to the original size. They cam from etrailer.com:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/STL90RB.html

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal