Author Topic: Camping Adventures 2015  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Moose
Camping Adventures 2015
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »
We arrived home Mon evening from the first adventure of the year.  Mammoth Cave N.P. with Mike, Bonnie, and Steward.  Man, did we have a blast.  Everyone commented that the weather was grand and how much we all needed the little spring journey from a long winters nap. 

A few things happened during the week since I last posted.  We had over 16 inches of rain.  The Vibe was filled with 16 inches of water from the 6 inches we got in 4 hrs on Fri.   We could not take the canoes as the river was very high and very fast.  Were still able  to take the Frozen Niagara tour, eat some ice cream and do a little exploring.   

I have to say,  stories were told by the hundreds and we all had a awesome time.  The food worked out well and the weather was absolutely glorious for those 3 days. 

Steward brought the music and it fit in perfect with the scenery and companionship.  I hope everyone had a grand of a time as we did.   ;D 

Thank you to all. 

Grampawsnazzy.

P.S.  Here are a few pics. 

Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
Re: Camping Adventures 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Hey Grandpaw,
 Looks like you all had a great time. Mike and Bonnie look good and they are missed. Heard from Bonnie that they had bought a new house with a little land.
  Steward played the bango thats so cool I love bango music, especially Blue Grass. Keep the pictures coming Kevin. We're all inspired to get out and start camping when we see how much fun you're having.  :D :D
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Pescador

• Vesely Prodigy
  • 1976 Apache Mesa
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »
Say hello to Bonnie and Mike for me! :) I am glad they are camping and doing well. I look forward to going camping in Tahoe in June for the Round UP and those pictures make me want to get out and play.
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
In a week we leave.  Gear and wardrobe packed.  Only thing left is to load the cooler.   

All camping sites with the exception of a hotel in Cheyenne and 2 unknowns.

http://mapq.st/1FmdZ4j

Safe and happy travels to all. 

Grampawsnazzy.

Offline s w ellis

• Squirrel
  • State: Ky
  • Type of Camper: 1977 ramada
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
  Have a great time.  I know you will as it is close to the route I did going to Yellowstone last Sept.  Wish I could go too.
Stewart

Offline runningbird

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
Kevin safe journeys. See you in Taheo. Debbin in napa
Life isn't how many breaths you take  but doing things that take your breath away. http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=4894;sa=mgallery

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:36:38 AM »
Kevin,
 Hope you and Cyndi have a great time. If you get a chance post some pictures of your trip. Colleen and I are looking forward to seeing you at the lake. I'm also looking forward to seeing your new trailer. Safe trip to you, have fun.  :D
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 05:10:49 AM »
Cynde and I are home safe from the West Coast Trip 2015.  3 weeks of fun. 

Tidbits from the trip. 

5543.9 miles
Average price of fuel  2.93 gal
Total cost of fuel  $574.02
MPG  28.3  I had hoped for 30 but the speed limits of 80 and 75 along with the mountains decreased it by some.  Gotta love Teton pass.
17 days camping, 3 nights hotels.  One in Independence MO and twice in Winnamucca NV.
Laundry, twice.  Once in Yellowstone and Winnamucca NV.
Restocking of the cooler 3,  if you include the first stock of home it would be 4. 
Highest temp 97 in  M0.  Coldest 33 in Yellowstone, WY.
Windy in Badlands and NE.  Hail in Yellowstone.  Rain hit or miss.  Most days dry and sunny. 

States traveled,  KY, IN, IL, MO, KS, IA, SD, MT, WY, ID, NV, CA, UT. NE.
States camped in, IA, SD, MT, WY, CA. UT, NE, MO. 

Well, that is the summary.   

We met a lot of people on this trip and have a ton of stories.

Make some of your own.  We would love to see/hear them..

Greg said I should post some pics.  It is hard to sum up 1300 pics and 3 weeks of travels. 

Here is the Trip in 15 mins. for those that have the time.

Grampawsnazzy.

P.S.  Comments and suggestions always welcomed. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:56:24 AM by Grampawsnazzy »

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
Hello all. 
I am sorry I have been away.  It is summer you know.  Maybe in the winter I can talk more.  I love to see the rebuilds.  :D 
Glad all have been posting their work on such great pieces of engineering and art.  I really love all the adventures."

Maybe it is time for me to catch up. 

After the June trip out West to see Greg and that bunch, we stayed a little closer to home.  "Everyone in their lifetime, at least once needs to camp with such a great group."

July was filled with the family trip to Lincoln S.P IN.   This was the only adventure Ditto made this year.  She preformed flawlessly. 
5 popups and a tent.  I still cooked for 7.

Late July brought a unscheduled, spur of the moment, 2 day trip to Hocking Hills S.P. OH.  Dead mans Cave campground.
That was real fun.  Dave had said it was always busy and could never get in.  I figured I give it a shake.

The park is spread out into several sections.  We  toured a few before hitting the campground.  Arrived at 15 min till closing.  Bought wood and was given a sheet of paper of available sites for 2 days.  As they were closing in 15 mins I was told to self register and drop the $ in the box. 
I did as I was instructed  all was good except my neighbor. 

His name was Steve.  A 48 yr old DJ with a pony tail.  Hard to forget him as he had a 3 inch wide by 18 inch Jagermeister logo tattooed on the outside of his forearm.  He was pretty cool in a way.  Never gave up the life.  Was camping 5 days out of his van with a 29 yr old female friend.

We had not even made camp and he was on us.  He was excited.  Liked the rig and told me where to hike the next day. 
Offered us to party as he had Crown, Jagermeister and beer.  Cynde and I politely declined his offer and to make sure everything was understood she gave him the "We don't get see much of each other.  This is our date night."  spiel and he smiles, gives me a wink and says have fun. 

4 hr drive there. 4 hours camping and 4 hrs home.  That is the nutshell of this journey.  PLEASE READ ON. ;D

Everything was working out fine.  Had a great road trip into unexplored territory, made friends with the natives and had a little happy hour and a  nice dinner before a hour of peaceful campfire to send us to bed at 11:45.  Everything looked rosy for a nice breakfast and a little hiking the next day.  So we thought.

At about 12:15 I hear a gentleman ask our next door neighbor Steve, "who is still up and having a grand time."
Who is that at my campsite.  Cynde says "you hearing this"  I said we're asleep. "

Steve answers, " they good people,  arrived about 8 pm.  Gentleman says "I paid for this site online and drove 3 hrs to get it. 
Steve tells him the same advice I would give any camper at a  half past midnite.  "Find a site and all will be worked out in the morning."

Steve starting to look a lot smarter than he first appeared. 

The gentleman left in a huff and I settled down to sleep knowing I would probably have to break camp in the early am.  Little did I know.  :o

Exactly 1/2 hr later as I am  drifting off too sleep I hear another voice interrogating my neighbor who is still active at the campfire.  :o

This is a voice of authority.  Ranger Bobette.  She circles my campsite with a flashlight as she talks to Steve. 

I don't hide from authority.  I exited the camper and asked " Ma'am, can I help you? "  She starts to ask me how I came about this campsite. 

I explained the instructions I had been given and she said I was misinformed.   You were never entered into the system.  They should have gave you a walk up site.  This gentleman booked this site online and he is the rightful renter.

Booked into the system?  I have a card saying I checked in  at  8 pm  and have $56 in a box.  I am in the system. 

I asked her. "who spends 28 dollars to arrive at 12:15 on a Sun night.  I suspect he saw Sun open online and paid for Mon and figured he'd slip in early.  Heck, I do it all the time.  He just got caught and did not like setting up for a night and have to move.  Such is life. 

Now I know why ranger Bobette is at my doorstep.    I finally looked her straight in the eye and said " you must be getting some flake from the other end of this problem to wake me up at 1 am. "  She replied,  "I would not have bothered you if you were sleeping.  I softly chuckled,  sorry ma'am the loud voices and flashlight did just fine."

I had had enough.  The one great thing about a camper is it's readiness to leave in a moments notice.

I was prepared for any answer I received from my next question.  " Ma'am,  would it make your job a whole lot easier if I just left?"

She looked square in the eye and said "yes"

That wasn't the answer I had expected, but I was prepared.  I told her we would be stuck and gone in 15 min.  Cynde asked if our $ could be refunded and Bobette said yes.  I informed her that would be good as I'm not quite sure I would take a check from the state of OH after this experience. 

She informed me she would help me pack if I needed.  Another soft chuckle and I said " We have been doing this for a long time.  If you provide your flashlight we can cut 4 mins off our time.

She was amazed.  She told us so at the entrance when she returned our $ and apologized.   Cynde said " you should see it done in a storm for the real effect."   I wished her night goes well and we will return.   She looked glad I took the high road.   We hoped  all worked out on the other end. 

Drove 4 hrs home.  Gotta love Tim Hortons. 

We did return.  But that is another story.

Grampawsnazzy / Kevin

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:39:53 AM by Grampawsnazzy »

Offline raccoon

• Moose
  • State: Ohio
  • Type of Camper: 79 Royal
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »
Well that goes to show you what it like to deal with all Ohio state employee . You talk to one and get a answer then you do what you were told and the next one tells you that is wrong (or you were misinformed) and no one in that office would tell you that. THEY ALL NEED TO GET TOGHER AND HAVE A CLASS TO LEARN THE LAWS AND RULES OF THE STATE OF OHIO. I have been dealing with that for the last 5 years trying to get a title for a Apache.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal