Author Topic: Repair and fixing up of 1976 Ramada.  (Read 48208 times)

Offline raider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Moose
  • State: Washington
  • Type of Camper: 1974 Royal
Re: Repair and fixing up of 1976 Ramada.
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
Pretty awesome and thanks for the lesson on the camber/axle, and taking the time to post and keep everyone in the forum updated.
Hope it all goes back together for you.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
  • State: WV
  • Type of Camper: '73 Ramada '75 Ramada '76 Ramada '77 Mesa
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
No problem, and hope Iíve explained it well enough. 

Got the frame wiped down with acetone and mostly painted up.  Used a 4Ē sponge roller for the larger sections and a brush for the crevices.

Still got to peel off the masking tape, and finish the front section to the tongue and some touch up in the around the step and back, but looks much better I think.

Will probably be after the holidays before I can get the axle brake plates welded up, but gives me a chance to finish up the paint.  Plan to remove the stabilizers and see if I can get them cleaned up and working a little smoother too, and paint underneath them.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
Repair and fixing up of 1976 Ramada.
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »
Got my axle welded up and installed.

The welder squared the mounting plates up with his table, but with the axle having a bow, it made them a little off. I didnít catch it either until after heíd welded it up, but a couple of washers fixed it right up and made the brake square again the hub.

Axle mounted up with new u bolts with the existing bottom plates.  This was a pretty easy job actually, should have done this a long time ago.  Hoping to get it back on itís wheels tomorrow after a packing of the bearings and reinstalling the brake lines and bleeding them.  Then will come the finishing up the painting and reinstalling the center shaft and gear box.

Also redid my backup lights and camera wiring.  A waterproof junction box from amazon, mounted with double sided tape (didnít want to drill into the frame).

All done, with some sticky back holders along the inside frame for wire support.

A couple of photos of the backup lights.  I did have these screwed to the plywood floor, but one came loose, so mounted them directly to the cross member (there is little weight here, so no worries of the holes creating a stress point. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:31:13 PM by naturelover »

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2020, 10:11:04 PM »
Back on its wheels!

First up was mounting the brakes up.

Wheel bearings packed, seals installed in hubs and installed on axle.  Then bled the brakes as before with the harbor freight pneumatic bleeder. 

Finished up the painting except for the tongue while it was up there.  Still got to install the gear box and shaft after the paint dries. 

Also have to do the step, but wondering if it can be unbolted?   There were two bolts that went up into the door opening, will look and see if I can get those out later on. 

But finally back on its wheels, can now see daylight where my tire had worn on the inside, so seems much better in that regard.  Hoping to get a test tow in sometime when the weather is better. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:55:39 AM by naturelover »

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2020, 03:34:31 AM »
Propane and brake lines bolted back into place, and some split flex wire loom for the propane hose. 

Got the shaft and gearboxes installed too.  Looks much better underneath here now. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:50:07 PM by naturelover »

Offline raider

• Moose
  • State: Washington
  • Type of Camper: 1974 Royal
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2020, 12:46:03 AM »
Looks great, just like it probably would or better off of the showroom floor! When are you going to do mine?

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
Looks great, just like it probably would or better off of the showroom floor! When are you going to do mine?

Thanks! 

As say though, was lucky to have stumbled upon this particular Ramada, as it was in nearly pristine  shape to begin with, so that was a big help.

Got some nice weather yesterday and took it out for a test drive, and seemed to do well.  Tried to see how it was tracking behind the truck, but it was so windy that it was difficult to do, but took it for around a 16 mile trip and the bearings stayed nice and cool, so will see how the tires wear now. 

Went ahead and ordered up some new stabilizers, and need to sand and repaint the tongue.  Still need to see if I can get the step off by taking off the molding threshold at the door and paint it, or paint it in place if I canít remove it. 

Then a good cleaning and waxing, and should be good to go for the soon to be upcoming camping season.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
Got the step out, and finished up the frame here and underneath. 

Waiting for some warmer weather to spray the step, but hopefully soon. 

Since I had it up, decided to level it and run the fridge a bit, and donít think Iíd posted a pic of the screen on the access door.  Seems to work well, no spider webs or anything inside the compartment.  Just applied with some double sided tape.

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »
Got the step painted up and installed, and put on a new carpet cover to finish it off. 

Now all that is left is to remove the rest of the tape, and wash and wax it with the Collinite wax.

Purchased in March 2015, and after 5 years, itís been through a flood, two restorations, several fun camping trips, and should finally be all complete!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:48:08 PM by naturelover »

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »
A few little additions before the season starts up.

Some cable type safety chains and a new red break-a-way cable and spring latch. 

Now I wonít have to worry about my chains dragging. 

And some new stabilizers.

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2020, 07:49:37 PM »
I see you have 2 propane tanks.  I have 1 propane tank and a RV battery mounted on my platform.  I connected the break away switch to the trailer battery which is charged from the car when connected.  This assures the break away switch will kick in if a total trailer fatal disconnect occurs.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline Pony Power

• Ole' Elmer Like
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2020, 12:08:09 AM »
That's some really beautiful work you got going on under your trailer. The previous owners of mine had new gear boxes installed b4 I bought it so I just kind a neglected getting under there to do anything-------but I thought about it!

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »
I see you have 2 propane tanks.  I have 1 propane tank and a RV battery mounted on my platform.  I connected the break away switch to the trailer battery which is charged from the car when connected.  This assures the break away switch will kick in if a total trailer fatal disconnect occurs.
Yea, I had thought of using one of the propane tank spots for the battery, but figured that with the off grid camping that I usually do in the cooler months, that two propane tanks would be better for the heater and fridge. 

And I just leave the battery in the bed of the truck and hook it up with my longer connection cable. 

Then I have another cable that I can plug into my 7 way truck connector and charge the battery when Iím driving the truck around during the day, so that works out well.

Being the hydraulic brakes, all I need is the cable to pull the brake plunger to stop the camper in the event of total disconnect, did your camper have the electric brakes with the breakaway switch from the factory, or was that something you had added later?   

Offline naturelover

• Moose
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2020, 10:57:25 PM »
That's some really beautiful work you got going on under your trailer. The previous owners of mine had new gear boxes installed b4 I bought it so I just kind a neglected getting under there to do anything-------but I thought about it!
Thanks!!

And yea, I didnít want to get under there either, lol, but with the axle already out, I figured thereíd be no better time to do so as was much easier to get underneath there and sand and paint. 

And got a good inspection done too, have read that the tapered frame later model apaches like mine can sometimes develop cracks around the axle, so while I did make sure no cracks existed when Iíd purchased it, was good to get under there and check things out again. 

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal