Author Topic: New England Tour  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Moose
New England Tour
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:31:47 AM »
Well, we have been busy.  Got the trip in and are safe at home. 

This trip was, to say the least, unique. 

I think my toll bill is close to $200.  $33 for the George Washington bridge.  16 for the Delaware river.  New York said I needed a ticket.  I said I have no ticket.  "Where did you enter the system?"  I said "I don't know, charge me and let me roll."   Cynde, shouted, "We left ME this morning."  $19.50.

I am still waiting on 2 other states that have plate only systems.  Not to mention, my 4Runner as some from Chicago.   In-laws out of town, In our car.
Go figure.  I'm ordering the EZEPASS. 

A few highlights.  It is hard to tell a story quick. 

Shenandoah N.P.  Saw a bear on the early morning run out.  I told her it would be our best chance.  I rounded the corner at 25.  She says,
"Is that a bear?"   I just said no.  Stop the car.  No way.  Yes, it happens that quick.
Had a great time in the worst campsite.  We made it work.  A 20 yr old borrowed my hatchet.

Lums Pond S.P.  7 miles to the train.  1.5 hrs. to Philli.   Fun town, but a large city.  The Reading Terminal Market is a must see.
We had some time, so we toured Fort Delaware.  We highly recommend it.  A ferry ride and a living history park.  Everyone was in character from 1864. 
You would have loved the answers I got asking questions of Stephen Foster and Colt revolvers. 

7 hour drive thought NY and surrounding states and cities.  Not to bad.  I planned for a Sat. and it worked out well.

Welcome to Harold Parker S.F.  Very nice park.  Nice showers.  Ran the train into Boston, 35 min.  We got lucky, the tall ships where in town after 18 yrs.   Cynde managed to snag my prize souvenir, a Sail Boston hat in white.

The city was much smaller than I imagined.  Walked the freedom trail over to Charleston Harbor with several pub stops, and took the ferry back.  Gotto love a $12 all day metro pass.  A policeman told me not smoke in the park.  Saved me a $250 fine.   Locals tipped us off to a local restaurant.  I would have never found it without an address.  What a place.  Pure local and was a blast.
A shower was coming into the campground at about dusk.  We prepared, next door did not.  After the first downpour, they got into 2 SUVs and left.  Grill, stove, cooler, food on the table, left.  GONE.   We rolled out at 10:30 the next day,  they still were not back.   Cynde said, "I'm glad to see the amateurs making memories. They'll be back."  I wasn't quite sure. 

Acadia.  Loved it.   Perfect.  Everyone needs to see this place at least once.  We camped at Seawall, the quite side.  It was worth it.  Had our site moved due to a non RV generator on the tail end of a fifth wheel.  The loudest harbor freight generator they build.  All the rangers we meet were Bobette.  Top notch group of ladies. Gave us the best tip for a lobster dinner and roll. 

After 3 days of grand weather, showers were coming in on Fri.  I asked Cynde, what was the plan.  She said, leave early for MI. in the early am, we can make the Roundup.  I said that's 21 hrs.  She said I'm up for it how about you?  Had it all planned in 15 mins.  Stayed overnight at Lake Erie S.P. NY.  Good hosts, moved our site due to water.

Arrived at the Roundup at 3:30 and had to make pot roast.  A little bit of rain and a large helping of a grand time, and we were happy campers. 
Thanks to Jim and Dawn and all that attended.   Everyone should show up for this.  I finally met Paul, "Sensi" and his unforgettable wife Karen. 
I'm still not quite sure that is her name?   
Those folks are pros. 

Decided to take a chance that Put in Bay might have some campsites on a Sun and Mon after pirate week.   $160 for 2 nights campsite with ferry and trailer.  Mayflies.  Now I know why August is the preferred month.   Had to drive to the hardware store in the early am to buy a broom to rid the trailer and car to pack.  Fun Times.  The taxi to town and no DUI was worth every penny.

Last stop was Big Bone Lick S.P. KY. 1.5 hrs. from home.  Cynde asked why we stopped?  I said we have one more day,  this is the relax day.
We ignored the full sign at the gate and received the last site for one night.  Serendipity.   

Emptied the car and cooler of 3 weeks of travels and prepped for home.  Cooked the large cowboy ribeye we bought in Boston with corn and baked potato's.  Toured Rabbit Hash KY on the journey home.

Arrived home in the mid afternoon and went to Churchill Downs for the twilight racing with my son and fianc?.  They won and we lost.
We told our stories of adventure to eager ears.   That was the perfect ending for Cynde and I. 

Make those memories.

Grampawsnazzy.   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:11:06 AM by Grampawsnazzy »
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline RHS

• Wolf
  • Level before you lift!
  • State: MO
  • Type of Camper: 74 Mesa
Re: New England Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 01:49:01 AM »
Kevin,
I bet you could make a fun trip out of camping anywhere.
Glad you all had fun and are home without a flat. If you ever go back to ME, stop at Kittery at Kittery Trading Post (good eats next door at Bob's Clam Hut).
Randy
PS really enjoyed the trip report. :)

Offline sensi3d

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
we had a blast finally meeting you and Clyde. Yes Karen is my better half. Man you can pack a lot into a short time. I would stroke out at that rate. Rain didn't drown out the fun but it really tried. I almost camped in what became the pond/ swimming hole. The young kids had a blast in the shallow runoff.

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »

Acadia.  Loved it.   Perfect.  Everyone needs to see this place at least once.  We camped at Seawall, the quite side.  It was worth it.  Had our site moved due to a non RV generator on the tail end of a fifth wheel.  The loudest harbor freight generator they build.  All the rangers we meet were Bobette.  Top notch group of ladies. Gave us the best tip for a lobster dinner and roll. 

Grampawsnazzy.

Glad you like Acadia National Park, been there 5 times, camped there 3x with Apache Ramada. Thinking about going back sometime soon. I have unfinished business of riding up and down Cadillac Mountain on my road bike. (It's the cyclist's thing) There are no shortage of activities or scenery anytime of the year.
Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:58:08 AM »
It is good to hear from some of the old timers.  I have only been here since 2011.  All I can say, is this is one great bunch. 

WYORICK,  How you doing?  You have no idea what you planted in my head for CO.  Thanks.

Randy,  I hope you are doing well.  Thanks for the tip about HWY 1.  Running late outta Boston. 
Always another reason to return.  Remember, we are just tasting for future travels.  ;).

Yeah, it is always date night while camping with no children.
We always have a good time, we just roll with the punches and keep on trucking, because we really has no agenda.  Everything can be changed or modified at a moments notice.  I just do a little homework on the run.  We just know when we have to be home.  Welcome to travel camping.   

Quincy, MA.  You should have called me.  We will be back.  You would be are right on everything.  I would take the ride at 3:40, an hr. before sunrise. 
A lot less traffic.  Good luck, with this view a distracted driver is liable at any time of day.

Paul, we had a blast with you and your lovely bride.   See, you can fill in the details I don't have time too.  Yes, the time was well spent.  I learned how to roast coffee with Karen.  You would be an awesome parent and teacher.   After seeing the mods to your Eagle, I may reconsider my retirement rig. 

I will be in touch soon. 

To everyone that reads these forms,  Say something.  Everyone on this forum reads these posts, but know one wants to speak.   I would write if I had more time, I do have the gift of gab.   

Just to show you, I will post this.

https://www.facebook.com/chad.gregory.9406/videos/10209502029091151/

Make those memories. 

Grampawsnazzy.
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline 79Ramada

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: MA
  • Type of Camper: Ramada
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »

Quincy, MA.  You should have called me.  We will be back.  You would be are right on everything.  I would take the ride at 3:40, an hr. before sunrise. 
A lot less traffic.  Good luck, with this view a distracted driver is liable at any time of day.
Make those memories. 

Grampawsnazzy.

Glad you had a great time in Massachusetts and Maine. I was away in South Dakota and Wyoming the weekend when the tall ships are in town. If you are in the area again, Springfield Armory National Historic Site, in Springfield, MA is a must visit, especially if you are into US history and US military firearms. The Armory was in operations from 1777 to 1968, until Defence Sectery Robert McNaMara announced the closure right around US involvement with Vietnam. Also along the line of history tours, Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth, MA and Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA. Both are living museum and great places to visit.

Former owner of a 1979 Apache Ramada
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
My gallery: http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=40;area=aeva

Offline raider

• Moose
  • State: Washington
  • Type of Camper: 1974 Royal
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:05 AM »
   Quote from Gramps
"To everyone that reads these forms,  Say something.  Everyone on this forum reads these posts, but know one wants to speak.   I would write if I had more time, I do have the gift of gab."

I don't know how to put a quote in that I see other people do, maybe one of these days I'll figure it out.
Well Gramps I think it is safe to say that we are envious of your travels and trips and enjoy reading about them, I hope you continue to do so. Where haven't you been in these Untied States? I was thinking about you and your trip here to Washington State last year while I was eating a bunch of juicy cherries. I remember how you commented on them. They are about done now for the year. My wife and I retired at the same time within a few weeks of each other in April.  I still don't feel like an old timer though.  ;)  Unfortunately though she does not share my joy of Apache camping. There is a reason her friends refer to her as the princess. I use my Royal mainly for my once a year fall trip to play mountain man to find the elusive elk and so far the elk has been doing a good job of being elusive! But as you say it's all about memories, right?  I try and do something every year to my camper and right now I have the back wall off repairing cracks and prepping it for painting. New windows are going in also. It gives me something to do, though sometimes I wonder why. This one project is taking longer than I expected. That is one reason I have not been "speaking" ...I have not been using my Apache.

Roger

Offline RHS

• Wolf
  • Level before you lift!
  • State: MO
  • Type of Camper: 74 Mesa
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
Kevin, I always appreciate how you document road trips.  Haven't been on here in quite some time.  Renewed interest.

Could kick myself; screwed up on not buying a Roamer.  I know there is another out there.

Roger, you elk hunt in WA?  Had a little experience with it in AZ, lots of fun.  You have a beautiful State up there.  Tried to fish a "Skykomish Sunrise".  Not much luck.

Regards,

Randy

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal