General Discussion > Trip Report

Farley Canyon/Lake Powell

(1/1)

Broncanous:
I've been out to this place a couple times, most recently over Labor Day weekend. It's near Hite, Utah, which is where the Colorado River flows into Lake Powell. There's a primitive campground with bathrooms in Farley Canyon, but the water level has dropped about 50 feet. So to be close to the water you have to go off-road a little bit. But you can pretty much camp anywhere close to the water. It's off grid and you need a high clearance vehicle, but Subarus and all-wheel drive SUVs are fine. If that's the kind of camping you enjoy, then this is a beautiful spot. The lake is the attraction, as are the views, but Capitol Reef, Cathedral Valley, Goblin Valley, Bullfrog, Natural Bridges National Monument, and Monument Valley are all reachable from here. The landscape is just amazing though. I highly recommend camping in Farley Canyon if you find yourself in southern Utah and fancy the desert.

raider:
Awesome photos! Looks like a good place to visit for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Grampawsnazzy:
Broncanous, you got a first name?  I may have missed it.

Love the shots from the desert.  Utah is a fine place to be, especially with an Eagle.  I did learn something from a very old bar owner in Bar Harbor ME. 

I asked her is this Mt. Desert island?  Or Mt. Dessert.  She said her grade school teacher explained it like this.  "Dessert has 2 R's.  Desert only 1. 

You want 2 helpings of dessert and only 1 of desert.  She was old school.  What you learn at 56 is amazing.

I see you are out of SLC.  Fine place.  I have camped outside of Sandy.   Wasatch-Cache National Forest,  Tanners Flat campground.

I got a pic or 2 from the eclipse. I hope you did also. 

Please keep posting of your adventures.  We always enjoy seeing them. 

A pic from Tanners Flat. 
https://www.facebook.com/kevin.dorn.986?hc_ref=ARSv7T1Bq0-zWeVHIWufTA6WofcCXREttvNIDEhjRBxuupfaAytmtZ0owAf6Sunh1vQ&fref=nf

Grampawsnazzy.

Broncanous:

--- Quote from: Grampawsnazzy on September 16, 2017, 05:18:41 AM ---Broncanous, you got a first name?  I may have missed it.

Love the shots from the desert.  Utah is a fine place to be, especially with an Eagle.  I did learn something from a very old bar owner in Bar Harbor ME. 

I asked her is this Mt. Desert island?  Or Mt. Dessert.  She said her grade school teacher explained it like this.  "Dessert has 2 R's.  Desert only 1. 

You want 2 helpings of dessert and only 1 of desert.  She was old school.  What you learn at 56 is amazing.

I see you are out of SLC.  Fine place.  I have camped outside of Sandy.   Wasatch-Cache National Forest,  Tanners Flat campground.

I got a pic or 2 from the eclipse. I hope you did also. 

Please keep posting of your adventures.  We always enjoy seeing them. 

A pic from Tanners Flat. 
https://www.facebook.com/kevin.dorn.986?hc_ref=ARSv7T1Bq0-zWeVHIWufTA6WofcCXREttvNIDEhjRBxuupfaAytmtZ0owAf6Sunh1vQ&fref=nf

Grampawsnazzy.

--- End quote ---

First name is Brian. Yep, Utah has some amazing landscapes. I'm from Seattle originally, spent a year in San Antonio, and then decided to try Utah because I had some family here and the economy was booming. I love southern Utah. The mountains in northern Utah are nice, but I prefer the desert, and dessert incidentally. I did get some photos of the eclipse. I was in Rexburg, Idaho, which was in the path of totality...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version