Author Topic: Utah and Arizona  (Read 918 times)

Offline steveonzakon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wolf
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 1974 Royal
Utah and Arizona
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Just got home from a two week trip to AZ and UT.  Stayed at Kodachrome Basin CG 30 min outside Bryce and also at a CG just outside Flagstaff.
Two days before the trip I went to top off the tire pressure and one of my valve stems blew out.   I've had the camper for 5 years so I figured its time to get the tires replaced anyway.  Turns out the tires (including the spare) were 9, 11 and 15 years old!  The year codes were all on the inside so I couldn't easily check them, and the tires looked in good condition.  Don't go by how the tires look.
One day before the trip I tested trailer lights and noticed the driver side turn signal wasn't working.  Opened the light enclosure and noticed a second bulb in addition to the expected tail/signal/brake bulb.  Opened the right enclosure and it had just the one bulb, as expected.  No worries, the second bulb looked like a standard bulb.  Replaced it, tested, seemed ok.
Trip day, we planned to leave Los Angeles after 8 pm (to avoid traffic) and stay a couple nights in Vegas before heading to Kodachrome.  Hooked up and checked lights.   No tail lights on the TV and no trailer lights.  relay fuse blown.  Replaced.  Blew the secondary relay.  Replaced.  Relay blown again... and no more spare fuses.   Had to go 8 miles to find an all night auto parts place and get more fuses.   Got home, and decided to take out the new turn signal bulb.  No more blown fuses, but also no turn signal.   Close enough to get on the road for me, at what was now midnight.
Got into Vegas at 5 am.
Arrived at Kodachrome and daytime temps were in the 90's but we had full hook ups and the home made swamp cooler helped keep the camper livable in the daytime and night time temps were in the 50's and 60's.
Flagstaff was also in the upper 80's to low 90's daytime and comfortable 60's at night, with no hookups.  Switched to battery power and... nothing.  The deep cycle marine battery was 9 years old and had given up the ghost.  Into Flagstaff to get a replacement and we were up and running again on battery and solar power.  The rest of the trip went beautifully with the exception of the gps putting us in the middle of a field one day, then deciding it wasn't going to help navigate us out again.
Heavy monsoons gave us some spectacular lightning shows, and actually saw a lightning strike hit the ground on a cinder cone and cause a red hot ball at the strike point.
The drive home was uneventful thankfully, as the temps coming back across the desert were in the 107 to 110 range.

Pics from the trip http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=622
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:33:12 AM by steveonzakon »
I sleep in my camper.  Everything else happens outside.

Offline Grampawsnazzy

• Moose
Re: Utah and Arizona
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:13:17 AM »
Glad you had such a grand time at travel camping.  The Pics look awesome.  I wish I could make that Bluegrass campout, just a little to far at this moment.  Please keep us updated of the road trips and adventures, those are always fun.

Grampawsnazzy
Trying to use time wisely.  Memories in the making.  No agenda.

Offline prettinger

• Chipmunk
  • State: AZ
  • Type of Camper: 1979 Mesa
Re: Utah and Arizona
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »
I was just up in the same area around Vermilion Cliffs, Lees Ferry, North Rim of Grand Canyon, and Zion.  Had a great time.  We were there right after they closed some of the trails at Zion due to flooding.  Monsoon season is really neat to watch as things build through the day and then rain and downpour most evenings.  Got back to Phoenix area and they are predicting 115 degrees this week.  I need to get back up to the pine trees and cooler weather soon.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal