Author Topic: Simple/Easy Procedure for Lift Chain Replacement w/Pictures  (Read 38190 times)

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer / 1973 Mesa
Re: Simple/Easy Procedure for Lift Chain Replacement w/Pictures
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »
  I like to use White Lithium Grease. Grease in the tube not the spray can. When you disassembled your gearbox did you read up on the gearbox primer in the forum before you took it apart. Keeping all the parts in order is important to be able to reassemble them in the right way.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:31:40 AM by Redwood »
GREG
"It's not about getting through the storm, but learning to dance in the rain" 
http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3

Offline JohnS

• Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: PA
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Roamer
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Hello, have a question on whether or not to replace lift chains.  Have owned a 1977 Roamer for about 10 years and last couple years have had increased resistance when cranking it up.  WD40 on the telescopes has helped but still not cranking as easy as it used to.  Only use twice a year so dirt build up may be the cause, but not likely.  Any thoughts on how to resolve are much appreciated.  Thanks much for posting these pictures and procedures.  John

Offline BBY2KS2K

• Wolf
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Hi John. When was the last time you cleaned and lubed your gearboxes? If it's been awhile (or never) that's where I would start.
1973 Apache Ramada - camping rig
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport - tow rig
2000 Honda S2000 - fun car

My Ramada's makeover...

http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=12644.0

- Jason

Offline Terry

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
  • Welcome to the campfire. Pull up a log and sit a spell. Tell us what is on your mind. 8)
    • http://www.hosttec.com
  • State: Florida
  • Type of Camper: 1976 Roamer, 74 Mesa, 77 Mesa
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
Also, you should not use WD40 as it will collect dirt.  Use a dry silicone spray if you can find it. If not, regular silicone is better then nothing!
Lost....But making good time.
http://www.hosttec.net

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
Hello, have a question on whether or not to replace lift chains.  Have owned a 1977 Roamer for about 10 years and last couple years have had increased resistance when cranking it up.  WD40 on the telescopes has helped but still not cranking as easy as it used to.  Only use twice a year so dirt build up may be the cause, but not likely.  Any thoughts on how to resolve are much appreciated.  Thanks much for posting these pictures and procedures.  John
    John, I would say clean and lube the gearboxes too. I think you will be surprised when you're done.
GREG

Offline kanega

• Vesely Prodigy
  • I been promoted again. I am a Vesely Prodigy.
  • State: CA
  • Type of Camper: 74 Royal
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »
I learned a dirty little secret about WD40 way back in my college days working at KMart.  WD40 leaves film with added firing of a gun, you can get a bullet jammed in the barrow.  Don't use WD40 on the telescope poles for this reason.

Why do gun stores sell WD40 for guns.  Great for cleaning guns, but you need a cleaner for the WD40 removal.  WD40 highly profitable!!!!!!!!!!

The silicone spray is the way to go.
Mr. Gary Alan Kane

Also known as the Royal Kanes

You may bow to me now.  Ha Ha!

Offline JohnS

• Can't Back-up Straight
  • State: PA
  • Type of Camper: 1977 Roamer
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  Will plan to take apart the gearboxes this weekend. 

Offline Magnia503

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: or
  • Type of Camper: 76 royal & 80 mesa
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
Hello all, so ive looked at the post in this forum, and none of them seem to work. I cant find the how to replace lift cahins "how to", does this still exist? when might i find this dvd that is mentioned?
I have a 76 royal that has a saggy corner, the front lifts great and so does the left rear corner, but the right rear corner doesn't lift.

Also to replace it should the road cover be raised or down?
Thanks for any help

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Magnia503,
     It's true some of those old post don't work anymore. Many of them are five and six years old and the site has been redone several times since then. You can buy the CD on chain replacement from Tim Schaeffer at a1signsurveys@wowway.com It's a very helpful CD and it has lots of pictures too. To me it sounds like one of your chains is broken. To replace it you will need the road cover in the up position. It needs to be up so you can remove the rivets that hold the lift arm to the road cover, also you may end up breaking some of the bolts that hold the gearboxes on and they are easier to replace with the road cover up. The Road cover will need to sit on the side walls and also be secured with some 2 x 4s so there's no chance of the road cover coming done while you're working on the lift system.
   The chains need to be replaced in pairs. So you can't just replace one broken chain, if you install a new chain on one end of the trailer you need to replace both chains on that end of the trailer, that's because the tension on the new and old chain would be different and wouldn't lift at the same rate. Another thing is to check both ends chains because if the chains are stretched out they will not operate right with the gearboxes. Many times you will need new chains on both sides of your trailer. Some say to only buy new chains but I have been making rebuilt chains for several years now with never a problem.
   The gearboxes will need to be cleaned and lubed or even possibly replaced depending on whether or not you have the old style boxes and they slip or have rounded over plastic inner gears. Yours may still work for awhile if you take care of them or they may be shot already. The only way to know for sure is to open them up and look at the plastic inner gears. If they're even slightly rounded over then they need to be replaced. Apache Parts sells a set of two new gearboxes and four new chains for $600.00 dollars and after installing them your trailers lift system would be good for 30 years if you take care of the gearboxes. Two new gearboxes by themselves are $300.00 dollars. The chains by themselves are $90.00 dollars each. Apache Parts web site is   http://www.apachecampertrailers.com/   so I guess you have many things to consider but one thing for sure is you have to pull the chains to see their condition and the gearboxes too, that way you will have a better idea what you have ahead of you in repairs.
  I want to tell you that most people who buy an Apache trailer go through this with the lift system. But once you get it repaired or replaced then you're good for many years to come. Our web site is pretty slow in the winter but there are a few of us here and  we are willing to help you through this repair. We have talked many folks through the repair of their lift system.  ;) So you're not along here, just ask any and all the questions you have and were glad to help.  ;) By the way I see you have two trailers, which one are you trying to fix the lift system on the Royal or the Mesa?   Take Care,   Greg/Redwood
    Here is a picture of the plastic inner gears, the ones with the very sharp little gear teeth.

Here is a picture of the new style gearbox with the large aluminum teeth.

And here is a diagram of the gearbox and where to grease and where not to.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by Redwood »
GREG

Offline Magnia503

• Greenhorn Camper
  • State: or
  • Type of Camper: 76 royal & 80 mesa
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »
Thank
s for the info, looks like ill get stated next week on this..
do you have a post on rebuilding the chains? or a how to?
The broken chain in question is on the royal....

Offline Redwood

• Members
  • Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
  I'm sure there's info on other members rebuilding their own in the Forum under chains. PM sent. Good Luck :)
GREG

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal