Author Topic: Coleman Roadtrip Grill LXE  (Read 9224 times)

Offline Eurobug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wolf
  • Headin' down this road.
Coleman Roadtrip Grill LXE
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »
So I recently won an Ebay auction for one of these grills.  I got it for a great price.  I did some research and read a bunch of reviews for it, overall people seem to be pleased with it.  I have a 65 Raven and don't have a kitchen so I figure this grill will serve me nicely.  I like how it folds down so I can store it under the beds when the Raven is closed up.  Some campsites don't have picnic tables so I wanted a grill that has legs. This can run on the 16.4oz propane bottles or a larger tank as well (if I ever decide to add a tank to the tongue of the Raven).  Coleman also offers several different configurations for the grill surface.  It should be here next week so I'll give a review when I get it. 

Does anybody here have one of these?

I always go where I'm towed.

My name is Dan.

Offline aaronanalog

• Apache Master
Re: Coleman Roadtrip Grill LXE
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
I think the Fire & Ice grill was one of the best to have with an Apache, but they had major issues and instead of fixing the problems they just stopped making them. Now they sell on Ebay for $500 when they were only $150 new. I wish I bought a few of those defective cooler/grills way back when. They fit perfect inside the door on a Hardside.

Yours looks great for the Raven. you could probably make a permant install with it if you wanted to.
'79 Ramada
'96 Crown Victoria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LJNlJCbBs

Offline Steve A

• Vesely Prodigy
  • State: WA
  • Type of Camper: '78 Roamer "Roamie"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »
Cool beans, Dan.  Or now with your cooking ability I should say, "Hot beans".

Ciao,
Me: '56, She: '68, He: '97
78 Roamer, Nights 2011-18, 2012-6, 2013-5, 2014-2(+2)
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb265/yobtya1/78%20Apache%20Roamer/

Offline jimbo

• Grizzly
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
Have one,maybe 3 years.Use the griddle plates the most.The burner attachment for pots are not as good.Pots seem to sit up too high.I use a small two burner ,table top stove to put pots on.Shouldn't cook with the lid down,overheats and can cause damage to it.Other than that ,great grill.
Jim 65
Karen 66
Paul 89
Lindsay 90
85 Ranger & 64 silver eagle,05 honda pilot

Offline WildastheWind

• Deer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
I have the Char-Broil Grill2Go and love it.  Comes with a griddle and I bought an adapter to hook it to a 20lb tank.  It is more robust than the Coleman grill, but when I purchased the grill I was living in a place where I had to store my home grill.  The Grill2Go is my home grill and camping grill.  I love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-06401206-Grill-2-Go-Advantage-Portable/dp/B000LRFUFW/ref=pd_sim_ol_1

1978 Apache Ramada
2007 GMC Sierra Crewcab Classic

Offline Eurobug

• Wolf
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
Well I still haven't received the grill.  Looking at the tracking it seems to be stuck in Independence, KY.  It's been there for 5 days now.  I checked the weather there and they seem to be getting a lot of snow. So the wait continues.......

My name is Dan.

Jeff in MI

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »
I just got one of these last weekend. Definitely a step up from my cheap one that sat down on the ground. Looking forward to using it.

Offline Eurobug

• Wolf
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Man, I'm slacking.  I got the grill a while ago and tried it out and cooked a couple of rib eyes.  It works great and just fits through the door of my 65 Raven.  When the grill is folded, there is plenty of room for it under the sliding beds of the Raven when traveling.  If the weather is nice, my son and I are going camping in the Raven in the middle of April for his Spring Break.  We will definitely put the grill through its paces then.  

Here are a few shots of my using it at home.  I forgot to extend the two side tables even though there is a big warning not to cook with them stowed, luckily they were not damaged.  I lined the inside with some heavy duty tin foil thanks to some recommendations from some reviews on Amazon.  It made clean-up really easy.  I also got the attachment for use with a pan.  Called the stove grate, it just replaces one of the grill tops when needed.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:45:50 PM by Eurobug »

My name is Dan.

Offline sensi3d

• Vesely Prodigy
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
looks nice, i got a 5lb propane bottle for my gas stove and can go 2wks on it. My wife likes to heat water for dishes and coffee and soup. so a normal couple it would last 3 wks. You might be able to fit an 11 lb tank inside if you find one the right height. I liked the 5lb.er because it has a flat bottom.The only drawback to the small tanks is that some places have a min. charge  per tank so they nail ya. I have found several places that don't do that. There is less grumbling if i get my 20lb charged at the same time.

Offline jdpber

• Grizzly
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
I have one of those Coleman grills. we got it 2 football seasons ago,, it was used almost every football game both seasons.. it is great i would deff recommend it.. If you want you can make an adapter hose that will allow you to hook up the the 20# large tank.. some simple LP fittings and hose and you are set.. this is my plan of attach for camping..
1977 Cimarron

build restoration thread..   http://www.apachepopups.net/smf/index.php?topic=9260.0

Offline Dniara

• Can't Back-up Straight
  • Love Forever
  • State: California
  • Type of Camper: canvass
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 02:26:52 AM »
I apologize for a bump...
I like the canister stoves. One pound propane type, and small isobutane. I also have lanterns that fit on both. Have been through several and kind of have a collection. The piezo sparker lighter on the one in Smashy's post is a very cool feature to look for. no worries about singeing your knuckles, or sparking a lighter or match... after finding said lighter or match.
I like an alcohol stove in a Swedish military kit because it is so quiet, and it just packs up so neatly. good gadgetry and utility.Also, took a tabletop-sized Weber BBQ  grill for years, but I wouldn't recommend it for boiling water or cooking meals. You need briquettes, a way to light them, then they have to burn, go to coals, then you cook, then they have to be covered to go out, then the unit has to cool enough to handle. We always bagged the little grill in a trash bag, so no problems with ashes, coals, and such on the playa.

We finally gave it up, grilled the burgers at home, and used our camp stove to reheat the patties. Much more convenient.

An alternative suggestion for hot (but not boiling) water is to use a solar shower. They're unbearably hot during the day on the playa. If you're reconstituting dehydrated meals, I'd suggest trying water from a solar shower and see if that works off the playa before you really need it to work on the playa. Or try it on the playa if you're willing to have it fail to be hot enough.

HeaterMeals and similar companies make meals that can be heated in the box using powdered magnesium and salt water. Louise and I use them on occasions when we don't want to drag out the camp stove.

If you must have boiling water or a cooked meal quickly, I think CapSmashy has the best suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:43:25 AM by Dniara »

Use of this site is at your own risk! This is a user generated web site and apachepopups.net or it's operators are not responsible for it's use or content.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal